1 ton dump truck

/ 1 ton dump truck #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I have seen ads for used dump trucks that look like a very reasonable price, or I was also kicking around buying a dump trailer. This would be for home use hauling gravel, fill, probably not alot of continious use.

I have seen these ads that are often used municipal trucks and include a snowplow and a 10 dump bed. The prices can range anywhere from $7000-$15000. The higher prices are for a diesel and the lower ones a gas motor. Some of these are often low miles also. How good of shape will these be in? I was suprised at the low cost of these, they often seem as cheap or cheaper than a pickup of similar age and miles. How much will one of these things haul, 4 tons?

I like the idea of a dump trailer, but I'm not sure my truck will pull one. I have a 2007 Dodge Quad cab, 1/2 ton with a 5.7 hemi and 3.91 rear gears. I think it's rated at something like 8000 lbs for a trailer. That just doesn't seem like enough for a 10' or 12' dump trailer loaded. I've seen these listed as 16,000 gvw.

Probably in the end it would be cheaper to have someone haul stuff in for me but it seems like it would be handy to have one. If you can pick one up for 7k or 8k, that seems like it might be nearly as cheap as a new dump trailer. Dump trailers appear impossible to find used.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

/ 1 ton dump truck #2  
This one gets kicked around here quite a bit, so a search will find you some of the salient points.

Things I would look at (and a bit from me for relavance)

Wife owns A landscaping / lawncare company we have a 6 X 10 dump trailer.

Short version I would go with a trailer, load lighter if you need too.

I haul 3.5 tons in mine. (real regularly)

I think that will be about all you will want to pull with your truck.

I don't want to keep up maintenance on another vehicle and dump trucks are not cheap to work on (although they can be cheap too buy, I was offered some for free)

You will also have to tag and insure the dump truck, and it was high for us.

I second the dump trailers are danged near impossible to find used.

Best thing I can say about my dump is SWMBO fought me tooth and nail about buying one for years, I was lazy, I just wanted to spend money etc. etc.

Week or two after I got fed up and bought one. She asks me why I did not buy one sooner :(

Trailer option works for us, but I still constantly look at dump trucks. And my next personal truck when my Suburban dies will probably be a cab forward Isuzu with dump bed.

/ 1 ton dump truck #3  
I have seen these ads that are often used municipal trucks

Of course my personal knowledge and experience is quite dated, but I'd be very careful about buying used municipal equipment. Dallas (Texas) sold a lot of their old equipment at auction, but I never knew of anything that I would have bought. I once had a deputy sheriff from another part of Texas call me because they had bought two police sedans with about 80k miles on them, and when they got them home, he called because he figured that must have been at least 180k. Nope, it was 80k and they're junk when the city gets rid of them.

Now, as I said, my information is dated, and maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but I doubt it.

/ 1 ton dump truck #4  
The problem with municipality trucks is they run all day long. The truck gets turned on and runs all day. No matter what type of motor idle time is not good for it. I have lookid at some of the Medium duty dumps and they are just garbage. Alot of times the trucks just sit for weeks in between uses and the one I looked at had the pass and drivers window open about 2 inches. It had been that way over a year.

/ 1 ton dump truck #5  
I have seen ads for used dump trucks that look like a very reasonable price, or I was also kicking around buying a dump trailer. This would be for home use hauling gravel, fill, probably not alot of continious use.

I have seen these ads that are often used municipal trucks and include a snowplow and a 10 dump bed. The prices can range anywhere from $7000-$15000. The higher prices are for a diesel and the lower ones a gas motor. Some of these are often low miles also. How good of shape will these be in? I was suprised at the low cost of these, they often seem as cheap or cheaper than a pickup of similar age and miles. How much will one of these things haul, 4 tons?

I like the idea of a dump trailer, but I'm not sure my truck will pull one. I have a 2007 Dodge Quad cab, 1/2 ton with a 5.7 hemi and 3.91 rear gears. I think it's rated at something like 8000 lbs for a trailer. That just doesn't seem like enough for a 10' or 12' dump trailer loaded. I've seen these listed as 16,000 gvw.

Probably in the end it would be cheaper to have someone haul stuff in for me but it seems like it would be handy to have one. If you can pick one up for 7k or 8k, that seems like it might be nearly as cheap as a new dump trailer. Dump trailers appear impossible to find used.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

If you're an occassional user, a dump trailer is a great choice as it's virtually free to insure and keep inspected compared to a dumptruck. A dumptruck is another vehicle you must keep inspecting, maintaining and insuring, which gets expensive. Ask me how I know.

If your truck could handle a 8K dump trailer, it might be good for about a 5,000 lb payload. That's more than most "1-ton" dumptrucks can handle, anyway.

Probably the best "bang for the buck" package is a nice 1-ton dually pickup and a 14-16K dump trailer. That will give you lots of capacity for weight and still be easy on the wallet compared to a dumptruck.

I would do that if I were a smaller contractor.

/ 1 ton dump truck #6  
*If you're an occassional user, a dump trailer is a great choice as it's virtually free to insure and keep inspected compared to a dumptruck.
**A dumptruck is another vehicle you must keep inspecting, maintaining and insuring, which gets expensive. Ask me how I know.
***Probably the best "bang for the buck" package is a nice 1-ton dually pickup and a 14-16K dump trailer. That will give you lots of capacity for weight and still be easy on the wallet compared to a dumptruck.
`**Don't you need a vehicle to pull the trailer with anyhow so how does a dump truck
become another vehicle but the pick up doesn't ???```````:confused:````

***I'd like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton single rear wheeled pick up with a dump bed and a 16 foot tilt trailer better.
`````````

/ 1 ton dump truck #7  
`**Don't you need a vehicle to pull the trailer with anyhow so how does a dump truck

***I'd like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton single rear wheeled pick up with a dump bed and a 16 foot tilt trailer better.
`````````

But, the p/u is easier to insure. Especially if you have a SRW 1 ton, then the size weight would be less. If I am wrong, please correct me. Have not done much with insurance, as I'm only 13. This is what I see.

And, you'll have the trailer to haul stuff in. If you need to put something in a 1ton, it has to be smaller, and can't weigh as much. Plus, if you ever don't need the dump trailer, you can sell, and get a new trailer suiting your needs best, and have the truck to tow it with.

Kyle

/ 1 ton dump truck #8  

`````````

** Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the OP's intent was to keep his pickup and decide whether to add a dump truck or a dump trailer to his existing fleet of equipment, not to replace the pickup with a dumptruck. However, this was my interpretation of the OP, your's may be different. I would also think life might be kind of rough having only an old municipal 1-ton dumptruck to run everyday errands with. :)

/ 1 ton dump truck #9  
** Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the OP's intent was to keep his pickup and decide whether to add a dump truck or a dump trailer to his existing fleet of equipment, not to replace the pickup with a dumptruck. However, this was my interpretation of the OP, your's may be different. I would also think life might be kind of rough having only an old municipal 1-ton dumptruck to run everyday errands with. :)
Well yes that's another way of viewing it.
We could both be rite.

/ 1 ton dump truck #10  
Make sure you can get auto insurance on it. Sometimes they will not insure one unless it is with a business policy.