Highway weigh stations

/ Highway weigh stations #1  

BeauGeste

I use an F-350 diesel, dually, flatbed to pull a 10K trailer with my Kubota B7800. I'm fairly heavily loaded with a 60" bushing mower on the flatbed and the tractor having a front end loader and 7.5' backhoe. I go on Interstates from my home in MA up to VT where we have land and up to ME where friends have land. All works fine.

I have never seen one of the those roadside (or Interstate-side) weigh stations open. But, if it were open, should I pull over and queue up? Last thing I want is to be chased for a violation.

/ Highway weigh stations #2  
I'd skip it, you can always plead ignorance. different states have different regulations, but I think they are mainly for comercial vehicle heavier than 1 ton. I always blow by them in a comercial E350 van. the only time I've ever seen them go after anyone is in a bigger truck.

/ Highway weigh stations #3  
Weigh stations do vary, read the sign carefully and pull in if you even think it MIGHT apply to you.
9 out of 10 times you will be waved through, the 10th time they might chat to figure if you are really private or commercial, from there you might get weighed.

I'm fairly sure I've seen 3/4 and 1 ton vans and pick-ups chased down for not stopping on I-84 in Union, CT.
That is one weigh station I ALWAYS pull into, it has a reputation and I did get a very minor warning ticket there one time, but it was a minor "technical" warning ticket and I think a judge would have thrown it out if it had been a citation.
There are others that say "Commercial Vehicles", some say "Any vehicle pulling a trailer", you just have to read ALL the categories that MIGHT apply to you and pull in if there is any doubt.
I sometimes think they get impatient with me for holding up the line, they would MUCH rather talk to the 80,000 lb guy behind me that looks as if he might be at 90,000 lb.

/ Highway weigh stations #4  
I use an F-350 diesel, dually, flatbed to pull a 10K trailer with my Kubota B7800. I'm fairly heavily loaded with a 60" bushing mower on the flatbed and the tractor having a front end loader and 7.5' backhoe. I go on Interstates from my home in MA up to VT where we have land and up to ME where friends have land. All works fine.

I have never seen one of the those roadside (or Interstate-side) weigh stations open. But, if it were open, should I pull over and queue up? Last thing I want is to be chased for a violation.
Those are for commerical out fits not private individuals.

/ Highway weigh stations #5  

DOT regs kick in at 10,000lbs GVW. Figuring your GCVWR at 21,000lbs and assuming you have a 'truck' or 'commercial' plate on the truck (I live in NY, not MA), you are legally required to stop at weigh stations. In the real world you probably will get waved through 95% of the time and won't get chased down 98% of the time if you bypass an open weigh station.

/ Highway weigh stations #6  
Just about all motorhomes are above that number, and they are not required to weigh. In Illinois, I'm pretty sure it has to be a commercial outfit to be required. Although busses are also exempt.

DOT regs kick in at 10,000lbs GVW. Figuring your GCVWR at 21,000lbs and assuming you have a 'truck' or 'commercial' plate on the truck (I live in NY, not MA), you are legally required to stop at weigh stations. In the real world you probably will get waved through 95% of the time and won't get chased down 98% of the time if you bypass an open weigh station.

/ Highway weigh stations #7  
We had an 07 dodge 3500 4 door when hooked to the 35 foot trailer the combined Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating was 26,000. when hooked to the 07 F-350 4 door the GCVWR's added up to 26,500. that is over the standard class C 26,001 lbs limit. That will earn you a ticket and require a class A or B Commercial Drivers License to move.
Y'all might want to check some tags and do some addition. Dot goes by potential weight rating not actual weight unless you are over weight. Also proper weight distribution.
Scales are for commercial vehicles. put you farm name and Not For Hire on your vehicle and you shouldn't have any problems. If you mow other peoples property for hire and transport your own equipment from job sites then you are a commercial vehicle and need to check and see what you need to be doing. YMMV Sean

/ Highway weigh stations #8  
the local weigh station says "trucks over 4 tons" and farm trucks need to weigh

/ Highway weigh stations #9  
It's been a long time ago, but I believe it was Wyoming where I saw signs that said "all vehicles towing trailers" which surprised me so I pulled in with my travel trailer, and of course, was told that it didn't mean RVs.:)

/ Highway weigh stations #10  
It's been a long time ago, but I believe it was Wyoming where I saw signs that said "all vehicles towing trailers" which surprised me so I pulled in with my travel trailer, and of course, was told that it didn't mean RVs.:)

Had the exact same thing happen to me about 20 years ago in Colorado I think it was, may have been Wyoming, somewhere out there. Sat there next to the window at the scale house and they just stared at me....finally got out, went in and was told rather impolitely I didn't need to be there. But the sign says.......they just laughed. Must be an inside joke on the rv'ers..