Legal to Tow a Log Splitter?

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #21  
I seen it too- people tow stuff with no tags like splitters, water tanks for agriculture, etc. I like the otherr states definination better- I think every state should say trailers do not need registration if it doesnt have springs and not carrying cargo and doesnt exceed width of the taillights of a towing vehicle.

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter?
Thanks for all the replies, looks like most states are pretty lenient with the small single use trailers, like splitters and mixers etc.
But maybe not CT. Thanks alot, not the answer I wanted to hear Mike :)

If I have to move it again, I'll go slow with the SMV sign on it.
It was very stable like I said wasn't bouncing or swaying at all,

I did go gingerly around tight corners as I have vivid memories of working for a mason contractor and seeing one of the less than very swift employees, pulling into the yard with a small dump truck, the radio blaring and the mortar mixer being "towed" on it's SIDE! held on by nothing but the chain :eek:

As far as the tires being road rated, I was down and close to them to get the air pressure data and didn't notice any warning that said not for highway use, they take 60 PSI if that means anything. It does have bearings, don't know if they are high speed but I felt the hubs after this short ride and they were not hot.

Someone mentioned the 48" width for light requirement, this is just an inch over on the outside of the tires at 49 inches. Also the magnetic lights would be a good idea for night use.

I did notice that people were staying back a decent distance, I think that SMV sign, being a universal warning symbol really works.

Thanks again,
JB.

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #23  
Just use common sense as you did and you will be fine.

Now for the term COMMON SENSE. It should be Special Sense because 93.87972985793872% of us do not posses it. Maybe I am a little optimistic saying 6+% of us have it, maybe closer to 2%.:D

Chris