Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Default Legal to Tow a Log Splitter?

I had to move my log splitter about 5 miles to a friends house, this has a 1-7/8 trailer coupler and break away chains for towing but no lights at all, not even reflectors. This was day time though.

I called the local PD and they said it would not be allowed to tow and would have to be carried in the back of a truck, well I came up with this method which may be misuse of SMV placard but I wanted the attention it provided so no one rear ended me.

I did go slow and it towed nicely not bouncing around or anything. Forget about backing up though, to short and can't see it.

Do any of you tow these things?

Thanks, JB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc00674-jpg   -dsc00675-jpg  
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520

Default Re: Legal to Tow a Log Splitter?

I don't know if its legal or not but I have seen them towed around where I live on numerous occasions...

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

I have. I put magnetic trailer lights on it. Rental place had no issues with sending it out with no lights.
    In retrospect I think I was in the wrong. I'm not certain they are road worthy. They seem kind of narrow and top heavy.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

In WI, lights are required. If you go with the SMV placard, you can't exceed 25mph.

In MN, lights aren't required if you can see the lights on the vehicle (unless towing at night).

Every state is different, in other words.

Either way, you can pick up a set of magnetic trailer lights from Harbor Freight for $30. Usually find them on sale for 15 or 20.

-rus-

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

I pull one in East Texas. Don't really know whether it is legal or not. I do know the tail lights on my pickup are very visible on each side of the splitter. It seems to me the DPS allow this, haven't ever heard of anyone getting a ticket. When I need to back up I disconnect and back by hand.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

I pull my splitter here in Georgia and I bought one of those bicycle - white rods with a flag on top it is about 4 ft. high and bolted it to the back of the splitter so it makes the end of the splitter visible to cars behind and I can then see it in my rear view mirror so I can back up if need be. It tows great ..no problem...and my truck lights are very visible as well.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Good question. I see contractors pulling cement mixers and air compressors fairly often that do not have lights. And the rental yards send them out here that way, too. I'll have to call the local County Police and ask.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    Good question. I see contractors pulling cement mixers and air compressors fairly often that do not have lights. And the rental yards send them out here that way, too. I'll have to call the local County Police and ask.
    I have seen the same thing.. Even at interstate highway speeds..

Brian
    Bedford, VA
    2320 w/ 62D MMM, 200CX FEL, Pats EZ Change, LX4 Cutter
    Co-owner (with my father) of John Deere 790, 30 HP, 4x4, 513 cutter, 70 FEL
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

It is legal to tow a splitter, compressor, cement mixer, etc on the road in NY without a tag on it.
    The NY DMV website says:
    Section 156 of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law defines a trailer as:
    Any vehicle not propelled by its own power, drawn on the public highways by a motor vehicle as
    defined in section one hundred twenty-five operated thereon, except motorcycle side cars, vehicles
    being towed by a non-rigid support and vehicles designed and primarily used for other purposes and
    only occasionally drawn by such a motor vehicle.
    Based on this definition, the vehicles listed below do not have to be registered in New York State. This list is
    not complete, but it does provide some examples of this type of vehicle.
    These vehicles can not be used to carry anything other than the devices mounted on them. If a vehicle is
    equipped with boxes or bins, and is used to carry tools and accessories, it is no longer exempt from
    registration.
    Because these vehicles do not operate under their own power, they never require a registration, but the
    vehicle that tows them must be registered.

EXAMPLES OF TRAILER-TYPE VEHICLES THAT DO NOT HAVE TO BE REGISTERED
    • Welding machine mounted on a chassis.
    • Well drillers mounted on a chassis.
    • Wood sawing outfit mounted on a chassis.
    • Wood chipper mounted on a chassis.
    • Tar kettle mounted on wheels.
    • Electrical transformer mounted on wheels.
    • Air compressor mounted on wheels.
    • Water pump mounted on wheels.
    • Pipe threading machine mounted on wheels.
    • Concrete mixer mounted on wheels.
    • Paint outfit (air compressor and tank) mounted on wheels.
    • Insecticide spray outfit mounted on wheels.
    • Portable sheep dipping vat mounted on wheels.
    • Trailer used as an office on a job site.
    • Trailer used for tools and equipment when equipped with shelves and bins, etc., on a job site (shelves and bins must be empty when towed on the road).
    • Tow dolly.
    Source: http://nysdmv.com/forms/mv274.pdf
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Veteran Member

In Michigan, the rental yards send them out without lights all the time. As long as the tail lights on the towing vehicle are clear, I don't see a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast