Trailer Security

/ Trailer Security #1  

OkieG

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 855 (24hp/19@PTO)
How do you keep your trailer safe from thieves??

I've had occassion recently to visit the trailer store where I first bought my trailer. They reminded me that trailers are a high theft item. No attempted theft has been made on my trailer as far as I know. A few folks in our neighborhood have trailers, but they have not had any trouble either...so far.

The safety chains and a lock are used to tie my trailer to a steel "eye" set in the concrete pad where it is parked. Also, there is a "muzzle" for the bull nose hitch that locks in place. I was told this was a good system 4 years ago when the trailer was new. Now, I'm told thieves don't have too much trouble drillling out the lock on the "muzzle". I would think drilling out the lock would be a real chore, but who knows? Anybody have any ideas, advice on good security for a trailer, experiences, stories??

I know (or believe) an experienced thief could steal anyone's trailer, but if the difficulty factor is great enough they may opt for easier pickings.

Our lot is about an acre...no place to hide the trailer. It is visible from the road, though it is in the back yard about as far from the road as I can put it. I think locking it up is my best option. I'm looking for ideas for the best way to do that.

OkieG

Attachments

• 47-208867-MVC-033S.JPG
    47-208867-MVC-033S.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 181
   / Trailer Security #2  
Good locks, motion sensor lights and good neighbors help. Also, keep it out of sight if possible. A fence helps too.

/ Trailer Security #3  
Any way to put one of those hardened steel, "U" shaped bicycle locks through one of the wheels to act like a "boot"? This will not work on solid wheels, only those that have openings in the tire's wheel.

/ Trailer Security
Chris,

The trailer wheels do have holes in them, and I have seen the U shaped bike locks. I'm not sure what you have in mind for useing the lock to bind up the wheel. What do you mean by "boot"?

OkieG

Attachments

• 47-208890-MVC-036S.JPG
    47-208890-MVC-036S.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 157
   / Trailer Security #5  
Park it in a highly visible area to limit the time available to thieves and remove the wheels.

Egon

/ Trailer Security #6  
   / Trailer Security
Egon,

It is clear that removing the wheels could be very effective in making a "get-away" difficult. Do you keep your trailer on blocks until you're ready to use it? Do you keep the wheels in the garage? I want a system that will keep a thief from using my trailer, but mounting and removing wheels might keep me from using the trailer too.

OKieG

/ Trailer Security #8  
As you know this is a problem for all trailers and is not easy to solve ... in addition to all the other suggestions, what I have seen most of the contractors do, is to park the trailer(s) so that it is difficult for someone to hook to it ... put the trailer with it's tail up against an immovable object i.e., a building, a tree and drive your equipment so that it is pinned against the tongue of the trailer ... like with the tongue in the bucket. Some park the 18 wheel trailer with their doors closed and back to back jam up against each other ... and on and on … if you find a good way to do please let me know ... I also have an old Jon boat I would like to keep ... of course all my other stuff to ...

/ Trailer Security #9  
<font color=blue>"I know (or believe) an experienced thief could steal anyone's trailer, but if the difficulty factor is great enough they may opt for easier pickings."</font color=blue>

I use the same theory when I'm securing things. I have coupler locks on my trailers even though I know they're far from perfect. The ones I use are from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.guardianhitch.com/index.htm>Guardian</A> and seem to at least be superior to using a padlock and chain. I use my trailers often enough that taking a wheel off isn't at all practical and the wheel locks are only slightly less impractical.

/ Trailer Security #10  
Another source of trailer hitch locks is Camping World. The ones I used (just gave my last one away last week) is at the top of the page <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm?deptID=&catID=150&subOf=&page=1&thumbsOn=1>here</A>. As has already been stated, nothing is going to stop a determined thief who has enough time, but the lock you show in your picture should do the job about as well as any.