Adding length to 16 ft trailer

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #11  
I have added as much as ten feet in length to the rear of a trailer. I wasn't happy with the way it pulled, and told the owner. He said it would be "OK". I made him pull the trailer down the road unloaded and then loaded. He agreed with me and I moved the front axle to behind the rear one. (I would have just added another axle, but it wasn't my call). He later wished he had agreed with me on adding an axle.
With the right tools, knowledge and experience you can pretty much modify one to however you want. I had a 45 foot fifth wheel boat trailer that is now a twenty foot flatbed pintle hitch that the rear twelve feet dumps.

It is just steel... nothing a torch and welder can't fix, lol!!

David from jax

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #12  
I have a pretty good heavy duty tandam 16 ft trailer with 1 brake axle.
My tractor/fel and mower will not fit. Is it feasble to add a 4 ft tail to it to make it long enoug? Properly sized and welded.

Should i relocate the axles rearward for this? The "Tail will only hold the mower not really any weight.

???
I had a 16' Hudson that needed new decking, while I had the deck (wood) off I decided to put 4' in the frame in front of the axles. Properly reinforced and welded, it served me fine. I would not add it behind the axles, you may as well just let the mower hang off the end.

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer
I had a 16' Hudson that needed new decking, while I had the deck (wood) off I decided to put 4' in the frame in front of the axles. Properly reinforced and welded, it served me fine. I would not add it behind the axles, you may as well just let the mower hang off the end.

In my comment about balance I didnt take into consideration the weight of the tail section I was only thinking that the tractor will reside in the same spot on the trailer which is with the bucket just past the front rail.

Essentially no my mower hangs almost 4 ft off the back now so the tail will just keep the mower on the deck.

I guess I could build it then try it to see if the axles need to be rearward any

dont think I will be loading 10k plus on this 7k trailer lol

Thanks for the ideas

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #14  
Sell the trailer you have and get the right tool for the job. Adding 4' to the rear is going to make it pull awful and be tough to maneuver with that much rear overhang versus short tongue.

60/40 split is pretty much the standard starting point on front/rear of axles geometry.

Chris

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #15  
I have to strongly suggest that you follow the advice of others and sell what you have to buy a different one. As DeepNDirt pointed out with his experience, you can do it, but the results will likely be less than optimum.

Here's a thread that shows my experience with a simple re-build on a trailer that cascaded into some serious work. Lots of time. Lots of expense. I didn't even change my trailer much from the original design. I think you'll find that no matter how simple the modification seems it will be a bigger project than you think, and you'll end up with a result that you're not pleased with.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/177216-what-axle-do-i-have.html

Used trailers are pretty common and really pretty cheap vs. the cost of steel.

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #16  
If you decide to add .You may want to Add to the front for tongue weight when empty. I added 2 ft to the front of my trailer to make it an even 20'. It pulls great. I already had the materials. My cost was in Wire, elec. for my welder & grinder

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #17  
Just raise the loader and drive the front wheels up against the front rail of the trailer, you should have plenty of length. I haul a Ford 5610 4X4 with a loader, brush grapple on the front and a 6' Rhino heavy cutter with the 105hp gearbox on the back. Tractor has 3/8" belly pan and water in all the tires plus a full cage. The Rhino cutter is a very heavy commercial one. I wrote all that because the tractor is over 10k loaded out this way. It weighs almost 10,400 lbs, and its been hauled many times on a 16' bumper pull trailer. Twice I have snapped the Bull Dog coupler off the front but I had a backhoe on it. Funny, but both times the coupler snapped, I hit a rough bridge close to the house. Each time I made it home hanging by the little tab that sticks up for the lever that slides the collar back. That was all that was holding it. The trailer has a couple of six lug bull dog drop axles with transport tires. I recommend always using trailer tires on trailers, a lot less trouble than using passenger tires on a trailer.

My God! Any you keep doing this? I think you should have learned something the first time you busted a coupler! And a hanging loader is not really safe either!! Your lucky to be alive and at least have your equiptment undamaged!

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #18  
You can do it but i agree im not sure i would spend my time on it unless you just cant get rid of the trailer for reasons like "it was my dads" or something. You will ahve a lot of time and material in doing it.

Around here i see old carhauler or landscape 7K trailers for anywhere from $600 to 800 used in various conditions but mostly usable. Id sell what you have for say $600 and see what you can get, may even trade for one st8 up or for like trailer + $100. I can get a new landscape trailer now for $1200 Says its a 7K trailer, i guess because of the 2 axles but i looked and the coupler is only for 5K so its really a 5K trailer!

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #19  
Rusty: this is exactly what I want to do. I have a 16 bumper pull 10k trailer that I would like to add 4 in front of the axles. Do you have any photos of the project, or of the finished project? Can you describe to me how you braced it? Do you still have the trailer that you could send me some pictures of the undercarriage?

I am interested in how you spliced the side rails, and what other reinforcing you used beyond continuing the typical crossmember design through the 4 extension.

At what location did you cut the trailer to add the 4?

What is the distance from the front of your bed to the center of the two axles?

Does the trailer have fold up ramps?

Did you flip the trailer over to complete the welding in a preferred position?

Did you use any bolts?

Ever have any issues after you extended it?

Sorry for the 1 million questions, but very interested in your input before I get into my winter project.

Thanks in advance
Joe

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #20  
Do you realize this thread was from 2011? Some of these people may not be on here.