Maine Trailer Plates

/ Maine Trailer Plates #11  
I'm in NY and all three of my trailers are sporting those green and white Maine plates, last time I got pulled over the officer ended up walking away with the info so he could register his own trailer in Maine and save money too!

/ Maine Trailer Plates #12  
I would not worry about a trailer. My company registers our airplane in Delaware and its worth 20 million. Reason, taxes. I would venture to say 85% of the airplanes that I have flown, well over 125, have been registered in Delaware and I would guess that holds true for all airplanes in the US.

Same thing with boats. I have owned 15 or more boats registered most out of my state due to the 7% tax. Pretty significant when you are buying a $140,000 boat. I register it out of state and paid a life time registration fee for less than $150 versus nearly $10,000 in tax. All my boating buddies do the same thing.

What I am trying to get at is I would not worry about a $4000 trailer when large ticket items are getting away with this for years.

By the way, I live down the road from a large Indiana based grocery store chain that must own 200 semi's. Every ones trailer is registered in Maine. As far as I know they don't have any stores in states other than Indiana.

Chris

/ Maine Trailer Plates #14  
My father and I have done this. However both trailers are not commercial and do not exceed 10K lbs GVWR. Our trucks are registered in MA, trailers in ME and land in NY.

It was a consideration when I was thinking of starting a field mowing business. Meaning I was going to have to register my truck and trailer under commercial tags and insurance, and lose my 5 year tag I have now in ME.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #15  
i am in NY as well. i have a 5 yr maine plate on my 12k equip trailer. i have not had any issues with it, and i do get "harrassed" by local law enforcement quite a bit because of the truck/trailer combo that i have (they are convined that i must be using it for business). i also shut them up w/the fact i have a class A, but i do get stopped several times a year

I have a class A license also, but I guess I'd never heard that aspect of the Maine plate issue in NY brought up.
Unfortunately for me, the only truck that I'd be pulling the trailer (7,000 lb. 16' with 2" dovetail) with is lettered and logo'd with the business name and a DOT number. I think that might kinda put a red flag on me.
But I just decided to inquire and take a chance with Maine on this particular trailer. It's seldom used and I just can't see paying $75 a year in NY.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #16  
Many guys I know here in NY do the same. Most of the guys I see hauling cattle with 1 ton trucks the trailer is reg in ME. I also sold a 15 ton tag a few years ago. To get it home the guy who brought it used the plate off one of his other trailers reg in ME and that was what he was going to do with this one.

NY keeps screwing with the rules and fees, what do they expect.:confused2:

/ Maine Trailer Plates #17  
The SC county I live in would not take to Maine plates. The county website has a form to report residents with out of state plates...then they come get you for tax evasion, improper registration and no telling what else!

But only a trailer "LEGALLY" has to be tagged and pay taxes on. I have 4 trailers 2 boats, and one 4x8 utility and one 16ft car hauler. No tags on any, no titles and no taxes ever.

If i remember right the law is like "all trailers must be registered and tagged, EXCEPT personal trailers, boat trailers under dual axles (or something), and farm use trailers." This means 75% of trailers probly dont have to be tagged. I have a friend who has a business (landscapping) none of her trailers are tagged and she pulls them every day behind a logoed truck. She claims to be stopped and ticked for things each year never says about an untagged trailer. The also never strap lawnmowers or the JD 855 tractor down either while hauling :eek::eek:!

Any way im covered like 3 ways by not having to plate my trailers here in SC. There either single axle boat trialers w/boats on them, or their personal use trailers and i also have a farm property as well which the trailer is used for tractor hauling.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #18  
Many guys I know here in NY do the same.

NY keeps screwing with the rules and fees, what do they expect.:confused2:

I'm going to do it with my little used flatbed trailer. I only use it a couple of times a year. Right now a cousin is borrowing it and it's got an expired sticker on the NY plate.
What's the worst that can happen? I get a ticket and either renew the NY registration or tell the judge that it's parked until fall when I have to haul wood pellets for one trip. ;)

/ Maine Trailer Plates #19  
With the trailer "address" in maine, how does it affect insurance being towed via a NYS vehicle? How does this affect the ownership with address in maine ? I saw on one website you need to sign over a power of attorney and I think its for changing name on title in maine? Reason I ask, I am not smart eenough to know- and want links to support these questions as I have a nervous wife and I would like to try this with my trailers. I see on one website- its 99 bucks for 5 years registration versus 70 bucks a year plus taxes, plus inspections .

/ Maine Trailer Plates #20  
With the trailer "address" in maine, how does it affect insurance being towed via a NYS vehicle? How does this affect the ownership with address in maine ? I saw on one website you need to sign over a power of attorney and I think its for changing name on title in maine? Reason I ask, I am not smart eenough to know- and want links to support these questions as I have a nervous wife and I would like to try this with my trailers. I see on one website- its 99 bucks for 5 years registration versus 70 bucks a year plus taxes, plus inspections .

Here are some links that you can investigate:

Maine Trailer Registration Service License Plates TrailerRegistration.net
Trailer Registrations for Individuals and Fleets Countrywide - MaineTrailerRegistrations.com
Registration | Maine Trailer

I've emailed the 2nd one on the list to see just what the deal is. They appear to post the lowest rates at first glance. Of course it was Saturday that I contacted them, so I'll see what they have in the email box for me when I return from Fla. vacation on 5/1.

Last edited: