2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #11  
My only real complaint with the current 5.7 Hemi is that I think it could use a little more displacement for use in an HD truck. Even though I own a 6.0 V8 powered Silverado I still wish the engine had just a bit more punch for use in an HD truck (even though it's adequate). 6.2 liters to 6.4 liters seems to be the displacement sweet spot in HD trucks so if Ram brings a 6.4 liter Hemi to the table alongside a Cummins/Aisin combo they may well be the truck to beat in the near future.

This is where Ford leads the class. Like you said, the best chassis, best interior, best gas engine of proper displacement, and the TorqueShift to back up the gas offerings when with Dodge and GM you get a lower end tranny. Not a good combo. Put 2 trannys in a Dodge Hemi 2500 in 68,000 miles. One was a factory reman done under warranty and the other was a Jasper. Neither lasted.

Funny thing is that 2500 was never asked to do any more then any one of the 6 F-150's I have owned or my Nissan Titan. Actually the Titan has done way more, and not a single tranny issue with any of them 7 trucks. So for those who say Dodge does not have tranny issues are in denial. Only 2 vehicles I have ever changed a tranny on in the nearly 25 vehicles I have owned were the two in my Dodge 2500 and our Dodge Dakota work truck at the airport. When I say work truck I use that loosely. We replaced it in 2009 with a Toyota Carola. Its just used to pick up catering, run to get supplies, ect. Never really used as a truck but is still gave up the ghost just before 10 years and 100,000 miles. It got a Jasper also but the only way Jasper would sell us a tranny for it was if we bought a larger cooler kit because they claimed they would not warranty it due to Dodges poor cooling of the fluid.

Chris

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #12  
I cant speak for the newest torqshift transmission, but just a few years ago, the side by side comparison of a Ford T/S to a 6 speed ally or Aisin wasn't even a comparison in features.

I don't believe that a "few years ago" the current Torqueshift was the transmission Ford used. Actually I do believe it gets good marks. As for the 6.7, I wish they had put their money into a six vs another V-8 but they have put a ton of money into it-with the bad press associated with the 6.0, they probably should have junked the Powerstroke name too, but so far other than living down the "sins of the 6.0" I do believe it is doing a good job-no better, no worse than the Cummins or the Dmax.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #13  
Diamondpilot said:
So for those who say Dodge does not have tranny issues are in denial.

Chris

Well I work at a Dodge truck dealer and have personal experience with a ton more Dodge work trucks than you do. I will say with conviction that Dodge doesn't have transmission problems, and hasn't since '02 or so.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #14  
Well I work at a Dodge truck dealer and have personal experience with a ton more Dodge work trucks than you do. I will say with conviction that Dodge doesn't have transmission problems, and hasn't since '02 or so.

Defend what you want but I have owned one and used another along with the other 4 guys in our dept and both did not last. Our mechanic was a Dodge guy when we hired him in 1995. He had 2 Rams, a Durango, two Caravans, and Jeep Overlander. He replaced the tranny in one of the Rams, one of the Caravans, and the Overlander lost the rear axle. These were 2-3 year old vehicles. He is now a Ford Man. He has a Lincoln Mark 8 with a Turbo and Nitors and its never had the valve covers off. Custom computer, underdrives, exhauset, 4.10 gears, and it will run in the 10's on DOT Slicks. Drives it to the track in Albany and back. Bought it for $5000 off Gaddis. It has had issues with the air ride and the oil pan is rotting out but its a toy. He now drives a 04 Mountaineer with nearly 180,000 miles on it and all he has done is a few COP's.

My wifes ex is a Dodge guy. He has owned maybe 15 Dodge trucks and has replaced the trannys on two of them. Again, I have never changed any in my Fords, Nissan, or Toyota. For that matter I have not had any tranny problems with the 4 GM's I have owned but did lose a transfer case.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #15  
The thing is that you are comparing a tiny sample to what I am exposed to.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #16  
The thing is that you are comparing a tiny sample to what I am exposed to.

That might be true but that is what I am exposed to. I am sure you have seen 100's of them. I do know 4 or 5 guys with Dodge trucks and no tranny problems but 50% of the Dodges I have been around have had tranny problems. That is not good averages in my book.

Chris

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #17  
I'm a pretty good lurker but this tugs at my feelings. I was a loyal GM guy till the bailout. Since then, and until it is paid back, I fugure they owe us, big time. So only fords here. I sold the avalanche, Wifey sold the pontiac. 2013 Focus for her and 2011 F350 for me. No dodges or gov motors here

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks
This is where Ford leads the class. Like you said, the best chassis, best interior, best gas engine of proper displacement, and the TorqueShift to back up the gas offerings when with Dodge and GM you get a lower end tranny. Not a good combo. Put 2 trannys in a Dodge Hemi 2500 in 68,000 miles. One was a factory reman done under warranty and the other was a Jasper. Neither lasted.

Funny thing is that 2500 was never asked to do any more then any one of the 6 F-150's I have owned or my Nissan Titan. Actually the Titan has done way more, and not a single tranny issue with any of them 7 trucks. So for those who say Dodge does not have tranny issues are in denial. Only 2 vehicles I have ever changed a tranny on in the nearly 25 vehicles I have owned were the two in my Dodge 2500 and our Dodge Dakota work truck at the airport. When I say work truck I use that loosely. We replaced it in 2009 with a Toyota Carola. Its just used to pick up catering, run to get supplies, ect. Never really used as a truck but is still gave up the ghost just before 10 years and 100,000 miles. It got a Jasper also but the only way Jasper would sell us a tranny for it was if we bought a larger cooler kit because they claimed they would not warranty it due to Dodges poor cooling of the fluid.

Chris

There's no question that Ford makes a good truck. Heck, the only thing I'm loyal to in the end is my money. I've owned Ford and Chevy HD trucks and I drive a Dodge Durango way more than either of mine or my wife's vehicles. I do have to disagree with you about the interiors though, and I really do believe that to be a matter of individual preference. My wife and I both prefer the interior of my Chevy to the 2010 Ford which we had immediately prior. We like the layout of the center console and dash in general better on the GM, but I do agree that this is largely a matter of preference. I also give Ford props for having the best chassis when they kind of ushered us into this current market segment of HD trucks, but I wouldn't say that their chassis is better than GM or Dodge anymore, at least not for 2013. Honestly, if the Cummins/Aisin combo works out as well as I hope it does I would argue that the HD pickup market is now a toss up. Ford probably has the best HD gas engine right now, probably with a toss up of no real significant difference between GM and Dodge right behind. I'd personally rate the new Ram/Cummins/Aisin combo as probably the best in diesel engines, followed by GM/DMax/Allison, then Ford. The reality is though that with the exception of cost, we've never been in a better time period to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. There's never been so many options, and we're closer than we've ever been to the medium duty truck market where one can pick up an engine/transmission combo from a supplier other than the chassis builder. I really think that there is something for everyone right now.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #19  
I don't believe that a "few years ago" the current Torqueshift was the transmission Ford used. Actually I do believe it gets good marks.

I know. If you read the thread you just quoted, that's exactly what I said. The torqshift in my '08 doesn't have nearly the features of my wife's '07 HD and it's a model year older than the Ford!! It has one less gear, no manual shift feature, either.

As for the 6.7, I wish they had put their money into a six vs another V-8 but they have put a ton of money into it-with the bad press associated with the 6.0, they probably should have junked the Powerstroke name too, but so far other than living down the "sins of the 6.0" I do believe it is doing a good job-no better, no worse than the Cummins or the Dmax.

I bet Ford thought this over, but came to the conclusion that most of today's diesel buyers don't even need a diesel, but like the way a V-8 revs and runs like a big block gas. If you drive a Cummins 6 cyl, it runs differently. It pulls and performs like a 6 cyl medium duty truck engine. The Powerstroke & Dmax feel like a diesel variant of a big block gas motor. Most of you kid "supertruckers" and non commercial use diesel buyers like the feel, smoothness and rev of a V-8 diesel. They've probably never even driven a class 6 or bigger CDL truck and know what 6cyl pull and torque feel like.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #20  
I'm a pretty good lurker but this tugs at my feelings. I was a loyal GM guy till the bailout. Since then, and until it is paid back, I fugure they owe us, big time. So only fords here. I sold the avalanche, Wifey sold the pontiac. 2013 Focus for her and 2011 F350 for me. No dodges or gov motors here

Uncle Sam's GM Investment Is Still Coming Up Short - DailyFinance

technically, they did pay it back. Though the government still probably stands to lose some money on the deal. I don't necessarily like the bailout either but I think it was necessary. Had this not happened, the ripple effect of GM going under would have had a huge negative impact on our economy. GM kept a lot of people employed, and not just GM employees. And they did "pay it back" way ahead of schedule.

But I guess this is not thread started for political views and I too can't wait to see what is ahead on the coming years. I definitely like the way trucks are headed. I used to have the view that "they don't build them like they used to" about everything, but when it comes to trucks- the more I see the more I realize that is a good thing I suppose, though admittedly I was a little relenting to admit that.