2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #71  
The last (US)GC diesel was Mercedes 3.0, a GREAT Engine! The Liberty used a 2.5 L, 4 cylinder, powerful but unreliable in US trim.
Nickle and dime electronics problems.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #72  
Bummer. Jeep is going to charge $4500 extra for the diesel option with 8 speed trans. Seems excessive considering that MB charges much less than that (?1500) for a similar upgrade with their ML and VW charges less to upgrade their base engine to diesel too. $4500 upcharge is a deal killer for me.

Source is an online Car and Driver article which discusses leaked (and very specific) option prices for the GC.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL
I saw that too but don't put much confidence in forum leaks. It may be true which puts it at average for suv diesel up-cost but I am still hoping they price it closer to the HEMI option. Maybe they will after a couple years in production.
blog.caranddriver.com/2014-jeep-grand-cherokees-pricing-leaks-online-including-new-diesel/

For diesel option comparison:
Volkswagen Tiburon - +$4500 www.vw.com/portal/en/configurator?context=Header#10209/20902/86

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #74  
I saw that too but don't put much confidence in forum leaks. It may be true which puts it at average for suv diesel up-cost but I am still hoping they price it closer to the HEMI option. Maybe they will after a couple years in production.
blog.caranddriver.com/2014-jeep-grand-cherokees-pricing-leaks-online-including-new-diesel/

For diesel option comparison:
Volkswagen Tiburon - +$4500 www.vw.com/portal/en/configurator?context=Header#10209/20902/86

What I don't understand is the comparison to MB as that upgrade is only $1500

I'm sure the resale value of the diesel will help recover almost all the extra cost as is the case with pickups but it would be a much more popular engine choice with a lower premium.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL
Last edited:
   / 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #76  
I don't know where that $1500 figure comes from but the ML350 BLUTEC diesel starts at $4000 more than the ML350 gas. Both similarly optioned...
http://m.mbusa.com/mt/www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-M

The Audi Q7 diesel is $5200 more than the gas model.
http://configurator.audiusa.com/acc/aoa-aoa-aoa-eng.view?msk=2#engine

I was just going from memory from when I looked at them about three years ago. I guess I was wrong or was thinking about the VW Jetta gas v diesel.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #77  
I was just going from memory from when I looked at them about three years ago. I guess I was wrong or was thinking about the VW Jetta gas v diesel.

Actually I just double checked those MB links. The $4000 difference compares a gas 2wheel drive to the diesel awd. The AWD option is $2500 so the engine upgrade is only $1500 from my reading.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #78  
i think they should offer diesel in every car and truck made

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #79  
I agree, EPA seems to think cutting emissions by 10% is for the better even if it means that vehicle uses 25% more fuel...

Extra
Profit
Always

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #80  
Hopefully they did their homework. Remember GM's disastrous attempt at diesels in the 80s?

Those GM diesels started out life as gas 350's modified to become diesels. I have no idea what GM rocket scientist at the time came up with that idea; but it sure was a crappy one.

IIRC, the Liberty diesel was only sold for a few months, and it used the Italian engine, not a Benz. Bummer if you have one, as I suspect that Chrysler is off the hook to support it under the Federal liability laws (can't recall the agency, but a manufacturer has to support a product only so many years after it's made, something like 7 years; Fair Trade Commission?). And support is probably met by selling you an entire engine.

If I recall correctly, the Gummint requires a manufacturer to make critical parts (e.g. drivetrain, suspension, etc) for 10-years after a model is discontinued, and 5-years for non-critical parts (e.g. power window motors, etc). If anyone knows for certain, please chime in.

I agree, EPA seems to think cutting emissions by 10% is for the better even if it means that vehicle uses 25% more fuel...

Maybe that's part of the Gummint's plan to enact DOE Secretary Dr. Steven Chu's call for USA fuel prices to match Europe's. After all a less mobile population is easier to control.

Secretary of Energy Dr. Steven Chu | Department of Energy

Steven Chu's Europe gas quote haunts President ***** - Bob King - POLITICO.com