Firewood guess?

/ Firewood guess? #31  
   / Firewood guess? #32  
And a Rick is your brother, cousin and a friend?

Guess its a local term. A rick of firewood around here is 8' long, 4' tall, and 16" to 18" wide. There aprox three ricks in a cord. Again, just a local thing I guess.

Chris

/ Firewood guess? #33  
From just looking,I'd would say that you would be very close to 1 cord, or 128 cubic ft. of wood. Here we measure by the cord, not a face cord . one cord is 4 x8 x 4 ft high, once it is cut and split and stacked.Good luck

Gerry

/ Firewood guess? #34  
Guess its a local term. A rick of firewood around here is 8' long, 4' tall, and 16" to 18" wide. There aprox three ricks in a cord. Again, just a local thing I guess.

Chris

Chris I know that I'm from the Mid-west too. Just funning ya.

/ Firewood guess? #35  
I would guess it to be 1 full cord after it it has been split and stacked.

My trailer with 2 full cords. 018.JPG017.JPG

/ Firewood guess?
Same here, sounds like its a trustworthy friend so make him pay for only 2 face cords now and once its cut-splitted-stacked he can make the final instalment on the right measure.

I'm actually giving it to him free, and he only splits a couple of day's worth at a time (well mostly his teenaged son does!), so it won't get split and stacked to get a better idea of the actual quantity....that's sort of why we were wondering.

I will say that almost none of this was really green wood. Around here we have a huge number of dead Ash trees from the Emerald Ash Borer. They die, and stay standing for a while, then typically come down during wind storms. The ones I piled up for this load have been on the ground for a year or more (dead longer), and when you cut them, it's pretty obvious that they're seasoned almost perfectly. For the past year I've been working from the oldest, to newest trees...skidding them out, bucking them, and then having friends come over to load. I've sent off at least a dozen trailer loads like this, and I'm finally making a dent. The next step is to cut down the standing dead trees that can get to my house, fence, or wind up in our pond. I probably should sell it, but now I have a bunch of friends who owe me, and I've got a couple of big projects coming up that will require extra hands, so it should all work out in the end!

/ Firewood guess? #37  
I am used to the term "ricks" vs face cord. Never had heard of a face cord until a couple of yrs ago.

/ Firewood guess? #38  
I'm actually giving it to him free, and he only splits a couple of day's worth at a time (well mostly his teenaged son does!), so it won't get split and stacked to get a better idea of the actual quantity....that's sort of why we were wondering.

I will say that almost none of this was really green wood. Around here we have a huge number of dead Ash trees from the Emerald Ash Borer. They die, and stay standing for a while, then typically come down during wind storms. The ones I piled up for this load have been on the ground for a year or more (dead longer), and when you cut them, it's pretty obvious that they're seasoned almost perfectly. For the past year I've been working from the oldest, to newest trees...skidding them out, bucking them, and then having friends come over to load. I've sent off at least a dozen trailer loads like this, and I'm finally making a dent. The next step is to cut down the standing dead trees that can get to my house, fence, or wind up in our pond. I probably should sell it, but now I have a bunch of friends who owe me, and I've got a couple of big projects coming up that will require extra hands, so it should all work out in the end!

Sounds like a well reasonned good plan lol

Regarding the ash trees, does the beetle kill all of them or do some make it through, like they are immuned to the bugs. The borer hasnt reached my area yet but most say its unavoidable.

/ Firewood guess?
Sounds like a well reasonned good plan lol

Regarding the ash trees, does the beetle kill all of them or do some make it through, like they are immuned to the bugs. The borer hasnt reached my area yet but most say its unavoidable.

I'm not sure the EAB kills 100%, but it seems pretty close. It doesn't seem to harm the young Ash trees, just the ones big enough to have thick bark that the EAB bores through, and then spends time weaving around. When you cut a section of wood, the bark will peel off, and both the bark inner surface, and wood outer surface, have squiggly lines from the EAB doing its thing. It seems almost all of our Ash trees are either dead, or dying....a few still look okay, but they may just not be showing symptoms yet. We have a lot if Maple, and even Cottonwoods that seem to be filling the void.

/ Firewood guess? #40  
Your description is reminiscent of what happenned to elms 20 yrs ago, the bugs digging tunnels and the barks peeling off. Not a single large elm left on my land or anywhere close as far as I can tell, small ones keep sprouting up though , they reach 6-7'' diam. and dry up and die. Beech are under attack also from both a bug and a fungi although a good 50% seem immune ? Oh well so much for diversity lol

I was hoping for a deep prolonged cold snap this winter hoping it would eliminate some or all of those exotic pests but no luck.