Single axle trailering of a CUT

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #11  
Figuring 10mpg while towing vs 20mpg truck alone for 600 miles and you get 30 gals of gas extra pulling your trailer outbound, around $100 at today's prices. You can put that outbound cost toward the rental of a proper trailer one-way homebound and maybe even come out ahead, plus you'll be far safer.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #12  
When I bought my little BX 25 SCUT I had a single axel trailer. One trip and I knew it had to go. It was all over the road above 30 mph. I did a lot of research on trailers. I was pulling with a Chev Colorado also. Long story short; I bought a 14,000# dual axel trailer (tilt deck) and a 1 ton Dodge dual axel truck. Reason, I plan to upgrade, I haul other loads of stuiff, and I rent larger equipment. The bigger combo allows me to avoid delivery fees of $150 nand haual most every thing I want to do. I always use chain binders on rolling/tracked gear. I have chaffed straps badly on that stuff.

Ron

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #13  
I'm pulling with a 2012 Nissan Frontier. It's rated at 6500 so I should be good to go. I'm having my hitch put on tomorrow and I'll ask the shop how I'm set up.

You should be aware that many hitches require a weight-distribution system to achieve their full rated capacity, and this is not always made obvious when discussing their rating. As in, the thing will say, "Rated for up to 6000 lbs!" and then there will be a tiny asterisk, and then five pages later, it will point out that without a WD system, it's only rated for 3500 lbs. Oops. Your dealer should be able to answer that question for you, but make sure you ask it.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #14  
No, don't do it! Nobody has mentioned that it is illegal as heck, and if you got into an accident you would be in big trouble.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #15  
You should be aware that many hitches require a weight-distribution system to achieve their full rated capacity, and this is not always made obvious when discussing their rating. As in, the thing will say, "Rated for up to 6000 lbs!" and then there will be a tiny asterisk, and then five pages later, it will point out that without a WD system, it's only rated for 3500 lbs. Oops. Your dealer should be able to answer that question for you, but make sure you ask it.

^^^I 2nd what he said^^^

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #16  
I am picking up a Bobcat CT225 and am hoping not to have to buy or borrow another trailer. Mine is rated 3500 on the axle and the tractor is right at 3500-4000. It is a 600 mile trip to bring it home and I won't be using ths trailer to haul the tractor any more. If secured, and careful, can I get by for this one trip? Or am I flirting with disaster?

that's a nightmare waiting to happen.

1, the trailer has weight that has to be deducted from the gross.. meaning you have less than 32500 payload available on a 1x axle 3500# axle trailer.

2, single axle trailer is = to a teeter totter. you have to ballance 100% perfectly .. with a small trailer.. that may be inpossible.. thus you may be tounge heavy or light, and get sway and tail wagging.

600m is a LOOOONG trip to white knuckle it and pray for no one to pull out in front of you.

I am amazed a tthe people that own tractors.. and figure they will never need a trailer.. :)

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #17  
I agree with the previous posters. Don't do it. If Uhaul does not have the right trailer, try some place like General Rental.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT
Problem solved...Sunbelt Equipment rental and $176 later, I have a 14' tandem equipment trailer for the job. Thanks for reminding me not to be a bonehead!

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #19  
You get your hitch sorted out at the dealer? No need for a WD system?

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #20  
No, don't do it! Nobody has mentioned that it is illegal as heck, and if you got into an accident you would be in big trouble.

+1 There is never a problem untill there is a problem. Blah, blah insurance person come bail me out.