Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56
  1. #1
    Gold Member gregfender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    369
    Location
    Marion, NC
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default Single axle trailering of a CUT

    I am picking up a Bobcat CT225 and am hoping not to have to buy or borrow another trailer. Mine is rated 3500 on the axle and the tractor is right at 3500-4000. It is a 600 mile trip to bring it home and I won't be using ths trailer to haul the tractor any more. If secured, and careful, can I get by for this one trip? Or am I flirting with disaster?
    Bobcat CT225

    ...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

  2. #2
    Elite Member timswi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,882
    Location
    Beaver County Pa
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

    Default Re: Single axle trailering of a CUT

    I'd rent or borrow a tandem...Too much weight in my opinion. If something went wrong, you'd never forgive yourself. Not referring to the tractor.

    Single axle trailers just aren't stable and redundant enough for that kind of weight...Plus most likey it doesn't have trailer brakes either.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,959
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default Re: Single axle trailering of a CUT

    Quote Originally Posted by gregfender View Post
    I am picking up a Bobcat CT225 and am hoping not to have to buy or borrow another trailer. Mine is rated 3500 on the axle and the tractor is right at 3500-4000. It is a 600 mile trip to bring it home and I won't be using ths trailer to haul the tractor any more. If secured, and careful, can I get by for this one trip? Or am I flirting with disaster?
    If your trailer is rated at 3500 on the axle, and the tractor is at 3500, bear in mind that the trailer's weight factors in as well. You're not going to just be a few hundred pounds over; you're going to be over by the trailer's weight as well as any amount that the tractor is over.

    I have that exact same tractor, and I was not comfortable towing it on my dual-axle, 7000 lb utility trailer. The problem is that, even though the tractor is well under the weight my trailer is designed to carry, my trailer is not designed to carry all of that weight focused over four tire contact patches of perhaps a square foot each. The utility trailer is designed to have its cargo evenly distributed, more or less. I was concerned that the cross-members were being overstressed. On top of that, my ramp/gate was not designed to handle vehicles as heavy as this tractor.

    For comparison, the company that makes my trailer makes a similarly-specced car/equpment-hauler. That trailer has the same GVWR as my trailer, but it uses 3" C-channel as cross-members, and has them on more narrow spacing than my trailer. My trailer has 2x3" angle-iron cross-members on wider spacing.

    In summary: don't do it.

  4. #4
    Super Member kenmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,628
    Location
    The Heart of Dixie
    Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

    Default Re: Single axle trailering of a CUT

    I agree with others. You don't have enough trailer
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

  5. #5
    Gold Member gregfender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    369
    Location
    Marion, NC
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default

    It would foolish to push my luck, wouldn't it. Would something like a uhaul car trailer handle the tractor? If not I'm sure I could find something for the trip.
    Bobcat CT225

    ...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

  6. #6
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,959
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default Re: Single axle trailering of a CUT

    Quote Originally Posted by gregfender View Post
    It would foolish to push my luck, wouldn't it. Would something like a uhaul car trailer handle the tractor? If not I'm sure I could find something for the trip.
    I would think a U-haul car trailer would be fine. They are rated to carry about 5000 lbs of vehicle. One limitation you will run into is that the hold-down straps that they have, which are designed to go over a car's tires, won't go over your tractor's rear tires. You will need to confirm that you have tie-down points on the trailer (you can almost certainly improvise something) and ratchet straps or chains of sufficient capacity, at least for the rear of the tractor.

    For tie-downs or chains, you will want a working load of at least 3000 lbs, so if you go with ratchet straps, you'll need the 2-3" wide 10,000 lb breaking strength ones.

    As long as we're at it, you'll want to make sure your tow vehicle is good to go. The trailer itself weighs about 2000 lbs, plus your tractor and you're at around 6000 lbs. What's your tow vehicle's capacity, and have you confirmed that all of the components of the tow package (hitch, ball mount, and ball) are rated over 6000 lbs? Are you going to need a weight-distributing hitch to achieve that tow capacity?

  7. #7
    Super Star Member Diamondpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,144
    Location
    Daleville, IN
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

    Default

    Simple answer is no. The trailer is going to weigh about 800# alone so 2700# payload is going to be its max payload.

    Big problem with a Uhaul trailer us it uses gutters for the wheels. That spacing will probably not work for that small of a tractor.



    Chris

  8. #8
    Gold Member gregfender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    369
    Location
    Marion, NC
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell

    I would think a U-haul car trailer would be fine. They are rated to carry about 5000 lbs of vehicle. One limitation you will run into is that the hold-down straps that they have, which are designed to go over a car's tires, won't go over your tractor's rear tires. You will need to confirm that you have tie-down points on the trailer (you can almost certainly improvise something) and ratchet straps or chains of sufficient capacity, at least for the rear of the tractor.

    For tie-downs or chains, you will want a working load of at least 3000 lbs, so if you go with ratchet straps, you'll need the 2-3" wide 10,000 lb breaking strength ones.

    As long as we're at it, you'll want to make sure your tow vehicle is good to go. The trailer itself weighs about 2000 lbs, plus your tractor and you're at around 6000 lbs. What's your tow vehicle's capacity, and have you confirmed that all of the components of the tow package (hitch, ball mount, and ball) are rated over 6000 lbs? Are you going to need a weight-distributing hitch to achieve that tow capacity?
    I'm pulling with a 2012 Nissan Frontier. It's rated at 6500 so I should be good to go. I'm having my hitch put on tomorrow and I'll ask the shop how I'm set up.
    Bobcat CT225

    ...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

  9. #9
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    438
    Location
    Albion, Indiana
    Tractor
    1710 Ford

    Default Re: Single axle trailering of a CUT

    I put my Ford 1710 on my single axle 3500# spring trailer for a less than 10 mile ride and will never do it again even tough I went no more than 35 mph. The 1710 weighs about 3500 lbs. Definitely not!

  10. #10
    Gold Member gregfender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    369
    Location
    Marion, NC
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default

    Thanks for slapping me back to my senses. Seriously. I can be a cheap b#%€úrd sometimes and it gets me in trouble.
    Bobcat CT225

    ...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Skid steer on a single axle
    By 94BULLITT in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 06:36 AM
  2. Dual Axle or Single?
    By Beltzington in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 05:41 PM
  3. Properly securing a CUT for trailering
    By dirtwhisperer in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 01:20 PM
  4. B7500 & Single axle trailer
    By BILLMAN in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-09-2001, 05:01 PM
  5. B7500 & Single axle trailer
    By BILLMAN in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-09-2001, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.