Ford 2000 On Trailer

/ Ford 2000 On Trailer #21  
As far as I know, Ford did not list the structural or shipping weight on the data plate of the 2000 or 3000 tractors, now if it was a Chinese tractor :D or likely a newer tractor it would be on the data plate...

Then there's the loader, most people are not going to (know ) what a full framed loader weighs, hence the questions. Which sounded to me like he needed the tractors total weight from some of the readers of these posts to make an informed decision.

I thought that was one of the reasons for Tbn to exist.
Fellow tractor enthusiasts trying help each other, with information and advice Personally have no problem with the OPs question... Always thought it was better to ask a question, when not sure than to plunge ahead in an un-informed way...

/ Ford 2000 On Trailer
OK, I looked at the trailer in question, It seems to be well built but is equipped with 3500 lb axles. Tires are new, brakes on 1 axle. Like I said he just towed an MF 50 2K miles with it behind a Tundra.
He also told me he had hauled a Farmall M 300 miles on a round trip (600 total). He thought the M was close to 6000 lb. The brakes worked well on the Tundra.

Here is the currrent problem: The trailer has 6-pin connector, the 2008 Chevy 1-ton is 7-pin. So we tried an adapter and all the lights work but no brakes. The Chevy has the factory brake controller. I can set the gain from 1 to 10 but the output always reads ZERO on the digital display. The adapter has a plug in reversible jumper; one side of it is labelled AUX and the other ELEC BRK. On the adapter it says to check the center pin; I assume this means to determine which way to position the jumper. On the truck's trailer connector the center is labelled BACKUP LIGHTS? What is going on here? I tried the jumper both ways and still no brakes.

Do these adapters often cause this kind of problem? Could the Toyota and/or the trailer be wired wrong (different)? Is the truck supposed to display 0 output if it doesn't sense a load? What should we check next? I have the plug in LED testers for the 6 pin and 7 pin, I'll try them tomorrow.

/ Ford 2000 On Trailer #24  
I would just put a new 7 plug on the trailer. The 6 pin plugs are a pain. No standard on wiring.

Chris

/ Ford 2000 On Trailer #25  
wow.. 6k tractor on an old style ag setup trailer. 1 brke axle and the ag 6 pin. towed by a tundra no less :)

sounds dangerous!

ont he 6 pin to 7 pin adapter not working.

as DP said.. there are at LEAST 3 wireing possibilities .. 2 for smaller trailers. 1 for larger. of the 2 for the smaller trailers.. most 6 to 7 adapters pop apart and you have to swap a wire inside to get brakes working.

i'm with rickon this.

insuficient brakes

insuficient tow vehicle

overloaded trailer

i was hoping it was a derated 10k trailer and had 2 brake axles...

at this point I really don't advise the haul...

/ Ford 2000 On Trailer #26  
Which truck is the proposed tow vehicle the 2008 Chevy one ton or the tundra??

I think he needs to check whether the tractors tires are loaded or not, If they are NOT loaded the tractors total weight should be under 5200lbs. and if he puts the loader in the back of the one ton under 4000 lbs.

2 sets of trailer brakes are obviously preferable , But if the tractors tires aren't loaded and he tows with the 1 ton and fixes the trailer brake wiring, and places the bucket and loader in the bed of the 1 ton, he should be able to haul without over loading the trailer... Now if the plan is to tow with the Tundra- forget it unless willing to haul the loader on a separate trip

Last edited:
   / Ford 2000 On Trailer #27  
yeah.. I'm unclear on those details thus my comment.

/ Ford 2000 On Trailer #28  
Tundra is plenty of truck upto 10,000# if equipped properly.

The trailer is marginal at best.

Chris

/ Ford 2000 On Trailer
Tundra is plenty of truck upto 10,000# if equipped properly.

The trailer is marginal at best.

Chris
yeah.. I'm unclear on those details thus my comment.

I kind of thought the trailer might have been marginal, that is why I asked the original question. That, plus not really knowing the actual weight of the tractor + loader and how the load would distribute on the trailer with the loader and bucket attached. I stated previously that we would be using my K3500, but like Diamondpilot said I think the Tundra would have been perfectly adequate as well. Bigger is always better but my friend's Tundra has proven itself in towing many thousands of miles with some of the loads I described above. I only mentioned the Tundra when I was trying to figure out the brake connection problem between the two trucks. Obviously the brakes have to work to use the 3500 for this tractor, although I wouldn't be afraid to pull the EMPTY trailer with the 3500 even without trailer brakes, or the loaded trailer with good working brakes on one axle.

I never meant to imply that I was going to go ahead with this if it was unsafe, I only asked the original question because like I said, I had a gut feeling that the trailer was marginal with the loader on the tractor. I guess most of us agree on the marginal/borderline status for the trailer.

The question about the 6-pin/7-pin connector was just something that came up with the hookup. I was almost going to post it separate but decided to stay here.

Thanks for everyone's advice and opinions.

/ Ford 2000 On Trailer #30  
I would not think twice about moving it from farm to farm or across town, but 100 miles needs the right equipment. D.O.T. could make for an unhappy day. The loader could make it tough to balance correctly. I believe I would look at hiring someone if this is a one time thing.