2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #11  
   / 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #12  
My mistake, I didn't realize it was Toyota.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #14  
Being a class AZ driver and having owned tractor trailers and hauling RV's commercially with HD pickups I can say I wouldn't want to be pulling those kinds of weights in a pickup. 12,000 pound park model trailers in a wind were scary, let alone 15,000 on the reciever hitch. And even sub 12,000 pound trailers killed tires, axle seals and pinion seals.
No wonder my commercial insurance was more for my pickups than my tractor trailers........I can see lots more HD pickups pulling 30,000 pounds scattered all over the highway. Already see it now on an alarming amount.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #16  
Not necessarily. There are plenty of exemtions. Farm, boat, RV, ect.

Chris

There are a few limited state exemptions like RVs and vehicles used for farm use only. I didn't bother listing them. I've never heard of an exemption for boats though. My point is still valid. If you are over 26k lbs then you best know for sure that you are exempt from requiring a CDL before you set out. Otherwise you could find yourself facing a 4 digit fine and paying a tow truck to haul your trailer to a safe place to park it.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs
There are a few limited state exemptions like RVs and vehicles used for farm use only. I didn't bother listing them. I've never heard of an exemption for boats though. My point is still valid. If you are over 26k lbs then you best know for sure that you are exempt from requiring a CDL before you set out. Otherwise you could find yourself facing a 4 digit fine and paying a tow truck to haul your trailer to a safe place to park it.

I checked a little while back on the CDL requirement in our state and IIRC

It says that if vehicle data label lists a GCWR of 26001 lbs. or higher that a cdl must be aquired before the driver can operate the vehicle... this comes from the drivers license division not the motor vehicle licensing which just asks what you want -weight wise to register it for??? It may be wise to see what the requirement is going to be, now that a one ton is factory rated in cdl territory before purchase..

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #18  
I checked a little while back on the CDL requirement in our state and IIRC

It says that if vehicle data label lists a GCWR of 26001 lbs. or higher that a cdl must be aquired before the driver can operate the vehicle... this comes from the drivers license division not the motor vehicle licensing which just asks what you want -weight wise to register it for??? It may be wise to see what the requirement is going to be, now that a one ton is factory rated in cdl territory before purchase..

So a guy can not own a new Dually?

Chris

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #19  
ram trucks web site shows the only 30k truck is a 3500, 4x2, reg cab, 8' bed, diesel, work truck. i hope the web site is wrong.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #20  
So a guy can not own a new Dually?

Chris

Not if it's rated that high, unless an RV, firetruck, or Farm truck in NY I believe, never heard if a boat but never looked. NY dropped it, but a few years ago they had a non-cdl class B that any vehicle rated over 18000 lbs , unless Farm, or firetruck had to have. I think you were suppose to have the non-cdl for an RV.

A few states like CA is the trailer is rated for over 10K lbs they want a CDL also. NY it has to be a combination of over 10K and a vehicle rated over 26k.

From the NY state site.
You need a CDL to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV), which is defined as:

A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or moreA trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating is 26,001 pounds or moreA vehicle designed to transport 16 or more occupants, including the driver, or a vehicle defined as a busAny vehicle that requires hazardous materials placardsYou can obtain a Class A, Class B, or Class C commercial license, depending on the type of vehicle you will be driving. If you drive a CMV without a commercial license, you could go to jail or incur a court fine of $5,000.

when am I exempt from needing a CDL?
Not all large vehicles require a commercial license. Generally, RVs driven for personal or family recreation, military vehicles driven by the military, farm vehicles driven on farms by farmers, and emergency vehicles driven by emergency personnel are exempt (see section 1 of the New York State Commercial Driver's Manual for specifics).

Status
Not open for further replies.