1997 F150 transmission issue

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I have asked a lot of questions here about this truck and have received great feedback. Here recently, the od light had started blinking and the trans seems to be "downshifting" and "upshifting" in overdrive. Engine rpms jump from 1600 to 2000 and back again every 15 seconds or so. I also noticed the speedo indicator is a little jumpy. It feels like the tourqe converter is locking then unlocking continuosly. Any thoughts? The truck is 4wd, 4.6 V8.

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue #2  
I have asked a lot of questions here about this truck and have received great feedback. Here recently, the od light had started blinking and the trans seems to be "downshifting" and "upshifting" in overdrive. Engine rpms jump from 1600 to 2000 and back again every 15 seconds or so. I also noticed the speedo indicator is a little jumpy. It feels like the tourqe converter is locking then unlocking continuosly. Any thoughts? The truck is 4wd, 4.6 V8.

Gonna have to get it scanned and see what the code is. Anything before that would be a guess.

Autozone will pull codes for free.

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue
Peacock said:
Gonna have to get it scanned and see what the code is. Anything before that would be a guess.

Autozone will pull codes for free.

Apologies. Did this already- nothing showed.

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue #4  
That's odd. Does the speedo jump while the od light flashes? If so, I'd be very suspicious of the VSS in the rear diff.

Generally generates a P0500 code.

Sometimes the wires break at or near the connector. Also take a good look see at the terminals. Have seen them get corroded and loose continuity.

Peacock said:
That's odd. Does the speedo jump while the od light flashes? If so, I'd be very suspicious of the VSS in the rear diff.

Generally generates a P0500 code.

Sometimes the wires break at or near the connector. Also take a good look see at the terminals. Have seen them get corroded and loose continuity.

Yes it jumps, kind of "shakes".

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue #6  
Yes it jumps, kind of "shakes".

Take a good look at the 2 pin connector on top of the rear diff.

If it looks fine I'd just put a VSS in it if it were mine. Used to be real cheap. Get it from the dealer if you can.

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue #7  
I would take it to a trans shop for a scan. More than likely its a sensor or valve going or a broken wire as Peacock stated.

Chris

Peacock said:
Take a good look at the 2 pin connector on top of the rear diff.

If it looks fine I'd just put a VSS in it if it were mine. Used to be real cheap. Get it from the dealer if you can.

Found the sensor, unplugged it and blew it out. How hard is it to swap out? Looks pretty easy.

/ 1997 F150 transmission issue #9  
Found the sensor, unplugged it and blew it out. How hard is it to swap out? Looks pretty easy.

Easy. 1 bolt. Thinks it's an 11mm.

Look at the terminals real close with a bright light.

Peacock said:
Easy. 1 bolt. Thinks it's an 11mm.

Look at the terminals real close with a bright light.

Found the part, $38.69 at Ford. Will change today and report back. Would this sensor cause the trans to shift like described above?