Optimizing towing vehicle

/ Optimizing towing vehicle #1  

vince2

Tractor
Century 2028 (2003), MF TO30 deluxe (1959?)
IMAG0220.jpg I have a 2006 chevy k1500, regular cab, long bed with only 23k miles on it. Has the 5.3 l and 3.42 end gear. Use it mostly in winter for 4-wheel in snow but since I got the trailer, a 5 ton eager beaver with pintle hitch, I have been getting close to the max towing capacity and at times exceeding it. I know that getting a 3/4 or 1 ton truck would be a solution, but I like my truck and want to keep it. Here are some things that I have done to improve the towing. Replaced the hitch with a cat 5 hitch rated at 16k capacity. Replaced tires with LT load E ratings. Considering now to change the endgear to a 4.10 (both front and rear) to increase towing capacity from 7900 to 8900 lbs. and to replace rear shocks with ranchos 9000 adjustable shocks to help with vehicle height in back. Any other suggestions to help the towing vehicle perform as good as possible near the max towing capacity are welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
   / Optimizing towing vehicle #2  
Depending on how your states laws are, your improvements might be for your comfort only.

/ Optimizing towing vehicle #3  
I imagine you can use lift bars on a pintle hook ? ---Trevor

/ Optimizing towing vehicle #4  
For the amount of towing you do I would consider a chip and an exhaust before changing the final gear ratios. Also a shift kit for the transmission would help.

/ Optimizing towing vehicle #6  
Yes brakes.

/ Optimizing towing vehicle
Air bags , trans cooler, upgrade brakes.

I have the trailer package, do I still need a trans cooler? Elaborate on upgrade of brakes. My trailer brakes are electric and perform well. Are airbags better than adjustable shocks. I read that many airbags fail within a few years.

/ Optimizing towing vehicle #8  
Truck does not exist without pics.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Optimizing towing vehicle #9  
The Goodyear air bags seem to do well. Another trans cooler in series may save big money down the road.
When I picked up my '94 F350 twenty years ago the service manager ask if I was going to put a snowplow on it, I said yep that was the idea. He put another cooler on before I even took delivery. Twenty years and hundreds of tons of snow later all I have done is change the fluid.
They have some aftermarket brake packages for trucks but I haven't used them, may be all set if the trailer's are doing their part.
Don't get carried away with too much weight on the tail of the trailer or you might get carried away ! Can get real exciting real quick !

/ Optimizing towing vehicle #10  
Trans cooler, deeper trans pan, tow tune, good brakes(ceramic pads are not good for towing)