3500 truck needs CDL?

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I was told that since the capacities of the new trucks have increased, a CDL is required for any truck whose weight and payload exceed 10,000lbs. I asked a second person and they said that was correct and that is why you see a lot less dualies these days. Is this true?

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #2  
In some Nanny States. If working for hire also but there are many exemptions for private use and farm use.

Chris

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #3  
I was told that since the capacities of the new trucks have increased, a CDL is required for any truck whose weight and payload exceed 10,000lbs. I asked a second person and they said that was correct and that is why you see a lot less dualies these days. Is this true?

Would be interesting to learn who you talked to. I used to drive medium duties up to 25 tons GVW for a living and the law back in 2004 when I retired said a CDL was only required when operating a vehicle weighing over 26000 pounds GVW. My license then was for a Class B. I did a Google search and cannot find anything that appears to have changed the laws since then. If I am wrong I will admit it.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #4  
If it's commercially plated and is a combination vehicle (truck + trailer) and you are towing in excess of 10K lbs. then CDL

Key point is commercially plated.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #5  
Here in WV, no cdl required until you go over 26k, single or combination, and/or air brakes. You do however need a class D licence for any commercial vehicles, and dot physical card.

Personal use, RV, agricultural, lots of exemptions in those areas. Each state varies.

I drive an F350 dually daily as my personal truck, registration is good for 16k lbs, anybody with a class A regular licence would have no issues driving it... now, at any rate. A few years ago, when I had it lettered up as one of my company trucks, class D was required.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #6  
I pay extra to license my GMC 3/4 ton Diesel but stay under the requirement for annual safety and log books. Still, I just realized that pulling my light dump trailer, I can only legally haul 660 pounds of payload! What's the point? I might as well drive a Smart car and hire someone to haul my occassional loads.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #7  
It depends on the state. Here in NY a regular class D license can drive and tow any combination if the GCWR of truck and trailer is 26,000 or less. Strangely, a Class B CDL has the same limitation but if the truck alone is over 26K then the trailer is limited to 10K or less. Class A for any combo over 26K where the trailer is over 10K.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #9  
Ding! Ding! Winner!

Attached is NYS DMV license requirements. No CDL required if truck and trailer GCWR is 26,000 or less. It does not mention anything about regular or commercial plates.

Attachments

• mv500c license class description.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 478
   / 3500 truck needs CDL? #10  
The commercial plate thing has a flaw. In some states, 10k is a commercial plate that renews in December and not on your birthday.

Florida is one of those states. Here, we can also plate up or down on weight. All it takes is $. You can buy a 3500 dually and reg it for 25999, and as long as no air brakes, and non com, its a basic class E license.

You can also take that truck and derate it.

One of my fords renews Dec, the other on my birthday.. Its just a declared and plated weight issue.