Trailer without stake pockets

/ Trailer without stake pockets #1  

mike35549

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 with FEL
See most people on here strapping tractor down using stake pockets. I have am 18' trailer that has rails and no stake pockets. I came new with 6 tie down points not really a d-rings more like a piece of steel bent in a triangle and welded to the rail. 2 on front corners 2 on rear corners and 2 just in front of wheel well. They just seem like they would not be as strong as stake holders but maybe they are. I would guess they would be rated to at least hold the weight of what the trailer is rated for. For other people that have trailers like this have you ever had any issues chaining or strapping down to these.

/ Trailer without stake pockets #2  
Can you post some pictures for us? I kind of understand what you are discribing but I don't know that it's something I have ever seen.

/ Trailer without stake pockets #3  
Easy enough to weld some on. They are only a couple bucks a piece.

/ Trailer without stake pockets #4  
I had those on my old trailer. I used them with no incident.

/ Trailer without stake pockets #5  
If they are large enough so you can get your chain hooks thru them, they should be OK. I like to drop my chain thru from the top and then bring it back up and hook it to the top of the stake pocket. I think this is the recommended way. For straps, I do a little different, just drop the hook thru and hook it at the bottom to avoid the strap being on a sharp edge. I also got 4 D rings and welded them on to the frame sides about half way between the fenders front an rear. I use these most of the time if the location is appropriate.

/ Trailer without stake pockets
Here are some pictures of them.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

/ Trailer without stake pockets #7  
No way I would secure a tractor to those. They look like the were intended to secure a lawn mower or something else small with light weight ratchet straps.

/ Trailer without stake pockets #8  
They look like tarp tie downs and not equipment tie down points.

/ Trailer without stake pockets #9  
That is the correct way. Drop hook threw and bring up and hook to the top on outside. Have hauled heavy equipment this way for years,with chain and binders.

/ Trailer without stake pockets
Those are the only tie downs on the trailer. Why would someone build a 7,000lb trailer and weld tie downs on it that are not strong enough to hold a load the trailer is rated to haul. The only other option would be to go around the rail which I don't like to do either.