02017 Subaru Impreza

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #31  
What I really wanted was an all wheel drive Audi A4 but I bought a 2013 Outback because it's US made. (In Indiana, no less.........Not a big deal for most people anymore but all other things being equal...

I shoulda also mentioned that back in 2002, when there weren't as many US made choices for light 4WD/AWD, I bought a 2003 Honda Pilot, partly because it was made in Canada.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #32  
I shoulda also mentioned that back in 2002, when there weren't as many US made choices for light 4WD/AWD, I bought a 2003 Honda Pilot, partly because it was made in Canada.

When I purchased my Infiniti the Infiniti people made it a selling point that Infinitis were manufactured and assembled in Japan and were higher quality than American assembled Nissans for that reason.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #33  
Long long ago when Wagoneer or the big truck Suburban were the only SUV's on the market I traded in a Wagoneer for an AMC Eagle. That was the second-worst car I've owned. Everything kept breaking and more important, Rear Wheel Drive with 'front wheel assist' was simply uncontrollable on ice or snow. After a lot of practice you could set up a curve and track a perfect arc around it but with no control over which way the nose was pointing. Terrifying.

Replaced that with the Trooper which handled as a 4x4 should. Then later the Outback, which handles like a rally car if you choose to push it.

Last edited:
   / 02017 Subaru Impreza #34  
Ironically the 1993-2002 Honda Passport was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo, made at Subaru's plant in Indiana.

General Motors used to own 25% of Subaru, and Saab, so that also lead to the redesign/rebadging of a Subaru to be a Saab 9-2, AKA the "Saabaru." GM sold 10% of their stake to Toyota and the rest of the open market, purportedly so that Toyota would not have control. Toyota needed manufacturing space so they made a five year contract to make Camrys in Fort Wayne. Now that contract has expired and Subaru may start building the Impreza family there as well.

The Subaru BRZ chassis was designed by Subaru, then handed over the design to Toyota for styling [compared to Subaru, Toyota is good at styling]. Part of the deal was for Subaru to gain access to Toyota's direct injection system.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #35  
more important, Rear Wheel Drive with 'front wheel assist' was simply uncontrollable on ice or snow. After a lot of practice you could set up a curve and track a perfect arc around it but with no control over which way the nose was pointing. Terrifying.

Disagree. My Grand Cherokee with "full time 4WD" is actually the same setup. There's a viscious coupler in the transfer case that sends power to the front wheels only when needed. It's the most capable 4WD I've ever driven. I have had no handling issues whatsoever with it.

compared to Subaru, Toyota is good at styling

I don't know about that, both companies make some downright hideous vehicles. Of the two, I'd give Suburu a slight edge in styling.

At the risk of being non-politically correct (Oh, heck, I'm always non-PC), the Subaru stereotype is Lesbians.

Huh. Never heard that one before. Of women I know that drive Suburus (my mother being one), I don't think any of them are lesbians. Then again, as someone else noted, Suburu's are fairly mainstream vehicles here in northern New England.

Last edited:
   / 02017 Subaru Impreza #36  
Disagree. My Grand Cherokee with "full time 4WD" is actually the same setup. There's a viscious coupler in the transfer case that sends power to the front wheels only when needed. It's the most capable 4WD I've ever driven. I have had no handling issues whatsoever with it.
My two Wagoneers, '72 with 4-speed (photo) and the later one with I think your same transmission, handled great. That's why I was so disappointed after trading the second Wagoneer in on the Eagle.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #37  
Huh. Never heard that one before. Of women I know that drive Suburus (my mother being one), I don't think any of them are lesbians. Then again, as someone else noted, Suburu's are fairly mainstream vehicles here in northern New England.
Oh this isn't universal. Just that they are notably included in the family of Subaru owners.

Who are recognizably more outdoorsy - rafting, kayak, hiking etc - and probably tend more liberal - accepting, in this case - compared to the general population.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #38  
//
Subaru used to be a niche brand. Now they've entered the mainstream. They are ranked #9 YTD, just ahead of GMC, Ram, Dodge, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Lexus and BMW.

Subaru is the #1 nameplate on 40 MA towns, and there are over 4,000 of them registered in Boston.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #39  
I have to ask , how is the CVT Transmission in the Subarus? I think they have been in for a few years now? Any major problems?