Cold weather starting and idleing?

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #51  
The only real need to let an engine run a couple of minutes when starting up is for oil to get fully circulated throughout the engine. After that, drive away moderately until the engine reaches close to operating temperature. It will do so much faster under light driving than idling. Once engine temp gauge gets off the bottom, can generally run the engine under full load.

I had no problem the ten years I lived in the interior of Alaska with letting all my vehicles and heavy trucks shut off over night. Had block heaters, oil pan heaters, battery warmers, and transmission warmers. Never had an issue. For diesels, had Arctic Fox fuel warmers and diesel fired coolant heaters. Could set timer on the fuel fired coolant heaters to start up about an hour before I wanted to start the engine and it would have the coolant to 140F by the time I started up. Instant heat in the cab.

And they make those fuel fired coolant warmers in both diesel and gasoline versions. Webasto and Espar the name brands that are the most widely used.