So many trailer manufacturers to choose from...

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #1  

sierradmax

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 Bobcat 763 & 2009 S-175
Currently, I have a 1998 Atlanta "Custom Built" 9,900 GVW 16' car hauler that I've outgrown and am risking failure. I used it as an equipment hauler to tow a bobcat 763 skid steer. Occasionally, I would pair a 709 backhoe on the machine along with the bucket, which would bring the total equipment weight to just under 7,300 lbs. Recently, I purchase a newer S-175 that's about 1,000 lbs. heavier than the 763.

I don't know the weight of the trailer but I can maneuver the trailer around by hand so I would guess it's under 2,000 lbs. and most current manufacturers spec their 16' car C-channel haulers at around 2,000.

So, with the weight of the newer machine fully loaded, I fear I'll be overweight with my current trailer. And, with it's age, risk of failure (even though I maintain it well).

I can maneuver a 16' trailer with my truck pretty well. But, with the machine, hoe, & bucket, the trailer is max'ed out of real estate. An extra 2' would be nice. The truck that pulls is am 08' crewcab, longbed 2500HD diesel. I don't know how much more difficulty it is to get another 4' and go with a 20' trailer?

In terms of payload, a 14,000 GVW trailer will give me about 11,000 lb. payload with an 18' while a 20' will give me 10,500 lb. ; while viewing manufacturers trailer weights of about 3,000 lb. & 3,500 lb. respectively. Even though a 20' would suffice for my current equipment, it would be nice to own a 5 ton mini-excavator down the road one day.

Locally, my options are Bigtex, PJ trailers, & Sur-Trac. Out of those three, are there any that stand above the rest for durability, ease of maintenance & convenient features? I would like the following options: for pockets, spare tire, lockable chain/binder basket.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #2  
Trailer manufactures pop up and go away almost as fast as local banks! It's hard to sort fact from fiction when you listen to the sales folks.

I crawl underneath and look at the frames. Box tubing is a plus, I inspect welds and figure out what the cross members are made of.

I found by purchasing from a dealer who sells custom made trailers I was able to get what I want. It was also worth (cheaper, better made, better warranty) me paying my brother to travel to the south east since that area is a hot bed for manufacturers.

I can did up the dealer if you were willing to purchase from that area.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #3  
I agree with what R said on this one. A custom manufacturer may be the best way for you...that way you get exactly what you want.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #4  
All the trailers you mention are popular brands of trailers IMO though I've only owned a PJ out of that group. I upgraded from a 7K 20' tilt bed trailer to a 14K 22' PJ full tilt trailer about 3 years ago for the same reason. After my new tractor purchase I had gone over the max capacity of the 7K. My PJ tilt weighs a little more than a non tilt at around 3860 lbs but still gives me at least a 10K load capacity.

The PJ is powder coated, previous trailers I've owned were painted. Some like and others dislike powder coat. After 3 years the PJ still looks new. I could not say that of the painted trailers and had to repaint all of them at least every 2-3 years.

My 20' was adequate but easily crowded with tractor and implements. The new 22' (actual deck is 23'9") is much better. I can easily side load 4 pallets on the front of the 22' if needed.

Most trailers sold off the lot come with stake pockets, storage box, and a spare because most people want them so dealers order them that way.

I tow with a gas 2016HD 4x4 Crewcab regular bed and have no problem with extra length. Its actually easily to maneuver backing up.

The only thing I'd like to have is an electric drive for the 12K drop leg jack but not a necessity.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #5  
I see a lot of the Big Tex trailers on the road and they look substantial. You might also want to look at Anderson Trailers. I have a 18' Anderson car hauler I bought new in 2006 and it has been solid.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #6  
I would like the following options: fork pockets, spare tire, lockable chain/binder basket.
For those not familiar with fork pockets on a trailer:

download.jpg

eh-pallet-fork-carrier.jpg

pallet-forks-1.jpg

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #8  
Never had an issue with either one of my Big Tex trailers.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #9  
They allow you to carry or store your forks on the trailer and not take up deck space.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #10  
PJ trailer fan here..