2" ball rated capacity question.

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #1  

Boiler74

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
I just purchased a 7k lb. dump trailer to pull with my Suburban. When I took a look at the 2" ball I have, I saw it was only rated to 5k lbs. I asked the dealer I bought the trailer from about this, and he said I'd be ok. But it's still nagging me. I've looked around, and can't easily find a 2" ball rated over 5k. I can't think that Load Trail would put a 2" ball on this 7k lb. trailer if they didn't think it would work. I just want to make sure I'm safe and legal. So am I ok?

Thanks,
Josh

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #2  
Boiler74 said:
I just purchased a 7k lb. dump trailer to pull with my Suburban. When I took a look at the 2" ball I have, I saw it was only rated to 5k lbs. I asked the dealer I bought the trailer from about this, and he said I'd be ok. But it's still nagging me. I've looked around, and can't easily find a 2" ball rated over 5k. I can't think that Load Trail would put a 2" ball on this 7k lb. trailer if they didn't think it would work. I just want to make sure I'm safe and legal. So am I ok?

Thanks,
Josh

This site says they have 2" balls rated up to 8K.The Hitch Corner sells Draw-Tite trailer hitch accessories

It might we wise to take a look at the rest of the setup I know I was looking for a 7K ball when I got my car hauler but ended up with a 5K ball because the 2" stinger and hitch were only rated for 5K without weight distribution.

If you want to have a 7K (or higher) hitch you might end up replacing the stinger and possibly the reciver hitch as well.

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #3  
I'd look for a heavier rated ball, they have 2" balls rated to 8500 lbs.

Trailer Hitch Balls

For less than $10, is it worth the risk?

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #4  
I believe that when rating the balls they rate them for gross tounge weight.

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #5  
Boiler74 said:

Thanks,
Josh

This is one of those situations in which you are "probably" safe; odds are in your favor. But it's a situation where I don't like just good odds; I want to be sure! And another ball isn't that expensive. In fact, etrailer has them in 10k pound ratings and that's what I'd buy.

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #6  
I think I got mine from etrailerhitch.com. or truckperformance.com
I have a putnam ajustable ball mount rated for 10k. The hole takes a 1 1/4" shank. My trailer ball is a 1 1/4" shank rated for 8k. My new trailer is a 12k and takes a 2 5/16 ball. I bought one rated 10k and a solid ball mount rated the same. You can find what your looking for, but you may need to upgrade the ball mount also. JC

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #7  
Take the 2" hitch off and put a pintle ring on it.

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #8  
Buy the heavier rated ball, be safe for yourself and everybody else on the road.

steve

/ 2" ball rated capacity question. #9  
Buy a new ball and make sure your hitch is rated for that much weight. You might only have a 5K hitch.

/ 2" ball rated capacity question.
Thanks all. I will get the heavier ball and a weight distributing hitch for those heavier loads. Want to stay safe.

Josh