Cutting with a stick welder?

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So I was wondering if anyone has used their stick welder to cut. I have an old Lincoln (ACDC 225) and on the panel it mentions stick cutting. But I have yet to find any sticks that do this, no any further instruction on the net.

I would love to have a plasma cutter, but I also have a wife.

Carl

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #2  
So I was wondering if anyone has used their stick welder to cut. I have an old Lincoln (ACDC 225) and on the panel it mentions stick cutting. But I have yet to find any sticks that do this, no any further instruction on the net.

I would love to have a plasma cutter, but I also have a wife.

Carl

Carl,

Yes, you can use copper coated carbon rods to cut/gouge.

Gouging Rod, gouging rods, copper coated carbon rods, jointed , flat pointed copper

Gouging Rods - Engineers Edge

SUPERBLAST Cutting Rods -- Cut fast without Gas

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #3  
You can also take an E6011 electrode soak it in water for a minute or two before inserting into rod holder and crank up the amps. That will give you a very crude but effective cutting tool. The surface after cutting will be rough and will require a fair amount of grinding. I never tried it with material thicker then 1/4" but it should work.
There are specialty cutting electrodes made for stick welders, but I hear they are pricey.
Edit: Duh... They are in the link provided by J.J.

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #4  
I used mine just with a 6011 rod and cranked it up and cut an old garage door into 2' pieces that I could put out in the garbage. It worked, and they took it. :thumbsup:

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #5  
There is an attachment called an air arc torch. I have used one many years ago. If I remember correctly, you put one of the carbon rods in it and connected it to your air compressor. It would cut about anything , SS , cast iron , mild steel , copper , etc. We used it to cut a SS tank up with cast iron rings around it. It was crude, but much better than a cutoff saw. Also, I don't think it was really expensive.

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #6  
What you are looking for Is a product I used to sell Called Cut Rod. It is a Harris Welco Product. They also offer Chamfer Arc Rods for Gouging out welds. Just for your Stick Welder. Lincoln Electric has bought Harris Welco and they are too Dumb to keep it alive so it is dying. You may still have time to source these rods before they go bye bye. They have killed a bunch of cool products already..Someonh mentioned Arc Air Gouging rods but that is not what you are after. There is also an Exothermic Slice Totch that uses Magnesium Rods with Oxygen Blown through them and they will cut " Anything " Boulders, Bridges, Asphault etc.

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #7  
Eutectic also produced a cutting rod that I used with my AC welder.
Needed high amps, kinda pricy but did a fine job, however it leaves a rather ragged cut but OK for demolition type work.

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #8  
Yeah, There are a dozen Cut type Rods out there. None will replace Oxy-Fuel or Plasma. Welcome to Evolution.

/ Cutting with a stick welder?
Thanks for all the feedback.

I looked up the air arc stuff, and it looks like they take a pretty high CFM compressor, and aren't that cheap.

I will check with Airgas and see if they have the cutting rods. I have a large piece of Ibeam I found on the property that might go to making a logsplitter if I should choose to shorten it.

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #10  
Carl,

I have one of those Exothermic Slice Torch kits. The rods are not that expensive. They take about 80 lbs of oxygen. They burn fast and furious, and will cut just about anything. It uses a special holder to secure the rod and and protect your hand, and allow the oxygen to go through the center. You then strike an arc using the ground block and a car battery, and you are off and cutting. Some people call then jet rods. Any welding supply should have them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZYJx3fQdo8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISCd2YJ_Rc&feature=related