Just a couple of guards

/ Just a couple of guards #21  
Thanks for the corrections and clarifications Jim.

I may have been thinking of Universal laser engravers that use stepper motors when I was looking at them. The servo motors was a big selling point to me on the Epilog, along with them being manufactured about 25-miles away as the crow flies.

/ Just a couple of guards #22  
15.5 hours?( your first post) How come you only worked half a day?Hee hee hee......I see the slot punches are going to strike again. I"ve always found that funny how that works. You get a new tool and then you have a bunch of projects it gets used on..........

The other thing I noticed in the picture of you welding is a destinct lack of enough tool chests.......hee hee hee......You definitely need to buy some more before a plasma cam.......

On the subject of the plasma cam, I agree with Jim. You could have set those guards up in a couple of minutes, walked away and worked on something else until they were finished. Then just punch the holes, bend it and weld it. I can see you really benefiting from a plasma cam or other manufacturer of these plasma tables Paul. I've worked on industrial controls for years (not my current vocation though) and I"ve always wanted to buy a plasma table. What stops me now is my neighbour up the road has one and he'll do what I need on it for a song so I have a real hard time justifying it.

I too think you should add one to your arsenal. I will turn out to be like the oblong punches. You'll start getting more work for it as well.

Last edited:
   / Just a couple of guards
Paul:

Thanks for posting the videos. The guy burning his hand was a hoot. I think the aluminum sheet was so thin and light that it wouldn't take much to move as it did.

As the blogger wrote, PlasmaCAM needs to use something more modern than a parallel port. To me, a laptop would be ideal for space savings.

Regarding CorelDraw and AutoCAD. I have both on my system at home, and I hate CorelDraw. I only bought it when I was looking at starting a laser engraving business. CorelDraw is an illustrator's tool, and is not accurate enough in my book for machine parts. I've used AutoCAD since Release 9 in the late 80's. The current release is 2011 (Release 18.x) and is better suited for accurate parts. CorelDraw would be fine for artistic metal work as Jim posted.

I haven't looked at PlasmaCAM's web site in a while; but they were using stepper motors for the carriage. I hope they've upgraded to servo motors, or at least offer them as an option. Servo motors provide better accuracy than stepper motors.

Here are some links that may be of interest while you research the products.

CNC Control Software | Flashcut CNC

Torchmate CNC plasma cutters, CNC cutting systems, CNC plasma tables, and CNC Routers.

ShopSabre CNC Routers | CNC Routers | CNC Plasma Cutters | CNC Laser Cutter | CNC Wood Router | CNC Machine | CNC Router | CNC Router Tables | ShopBotTools CNC Routers|ShopSabre CNC Router|

Metal Bending Fabrication Equipment | Shop Outfitters Related to PlasmaCAM

CNC Plasma Cutters Resource Site, DXF Art for CNC Plasma, Clip Art for CNC Plasma Cutting. • Index page Just what you need...another forum. :laughing:

Epilog Laser Engraver - Engraving Laser Cutting Marking Machines Systems and Equipment FiberMark Laser The laser engraver manufacturer I was going to go with.

If you get serious about a PlasmaCAM, etc, let's talk about AutoCAD and how we can help each other out. Lord knows I could stand to make a buck from the stuff.

Thanks Matt. Hope you got a PayPal account because we'll be doing business together. Great info you've provided as well and I appreciate all the time you put into putting this together for me. I can see good things happening for us on the horizon. :thumbsup:

15.5 hours?( your first post) How come you only worked half a day?Hee hee hee......I see the slot punches are going to strike again. I"ve always found that funny how that works. You get a new tool and then you have a bunch of projects it gets used on..........

The other thing I noticed in the picture of you welding is a destinct lack of enough tool chests.......hee hee hee......You definitely need to buy some more before a plasma cam.......

On the subject of the plasma cam, I agree with Jim. You could have set those guards up in a couple of minutes, walked away and worked on something else until they were finished. Then just punch the holes, bend it and weld it. I can see you really benefiting from a plasma cam or other manufacturer of these plasma tables Paul. I've worked on industrial controls for years (not my current vocation though) and I"ve always wanted to buy a plasma table. What stops me now is my neighbour up the road has one and he'll do what I need on it for a song so I have a real hard time justifying it.

I too think you should add one to your arsenal. I will turn out to be like the oblong punches. You'll start getting more work for it as well.

Glenn I'm just waiting on the info for the CNC table to come and then I'll get serious about it. I got to figure out where I can fit it in the shop but I'll have one for sure. I do enjoy doing things by hand but if this CNC table can bring me to a higher level in quality and speed with my fabrication and restorations It will be a go. I've already got a commitment from two local companies that they'll use the service so that's good news as well.

I think my buddy Matt (mjncad ) will benefit from this endeavor as well ;) It will need a downdraft ventilation system as Jim mentioned plus and water table under it. I just put three projects on hold until I get the info on it.

Yes there's a shortage of tool chests here at the shop. One on the left of that photo was my main one and the other is just for machining tools and I don't mix the two because I won't find anything. Thanks for the advise. Well taken. :thumbsup:

/ Just a couple of guards #25  
Ya know they get some wild money for those heavy tool chests. There are tons of dudes that have them for sale on craigslist. They are high dollar even used.

/ Just a couple of guards #26  
Thanks Matt. Hope you got a PayPal account because we'll be doing business together. Great info you've provided as well and I appreciate all the time you put into putting this together for me. I can see good things happening for us on the horizon. :thumbsup:

As a matter of fact I do have a PayPal account.

I hope we can figure out a way to work together, even via long distance.

If you're curious about my AutoCAD skills, I can email some samples in PDF format for you.

/ Just a couple of guards #27  
If you're curious about my AutoCAD skills, I can email some samples in PDF format for you.

Matt sent me some drawings of hydraulic stuff he was working on...I can assure you they are first class!

Matt sent me some drawings of hydraulic stuff he was working on...I can assure you they are first class!

Thanks Kenny. I know Matt probably better than anyone else on here and there's not a doubt in my mind he's good at it. I'm sure he appreciates your vote of coincidence as well :thumbsup:

/ Just a couple of guards #29  
In another life, I worked with Telus and brought the Internet into Alberta. We called it Planet at the time.

Anyway, my point here is that I have always thought the internet is/was great. Where else can people with common interests share their interests and do some joint work together.

The marketting guy we had on the project used to say "Work locally and think globally" when it came to conducting business over the internet.

"May the force be with you".....

/ Just a couple of guards #30  

Thanks Kenny, I appreciate your thumbs up.

Thanks Kenny. I know Matt probably better than anyone else on here and there's not a doubt in my mind he's good at it. I'm sure he appreciates your vote of coincidence as well :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul for your thumbs up too!

Anyway, my point here is that I have always thought the internet is/was great. Where else can people with common interests share their interests and do some joint work together.

Besides research of all kinds, I consider the Internet to be the greatest democratizing force in the history of mankind. Where else can anyone with a computer, or even just access to one share their knowledge, opinions (good and bad), etc with the rest of the world.