Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200
UL is indeed not a government organization. The US Occupational Safety and Health Administration is, however, and federal OSHA law requires that any electrical device be listed and labeled for its intended use by a third party nationally recognized testing laboratory, such as UL. That's the reason I ask. As a former OSHA consultant, I know OSHA can and does cite employers for providing unlisted and unlabeled equipment for employee use. There are also state and local government requirements that may come into play on this matter. At work, we've had to have UL or similar lab perform field evaluations for equipment we intend to use which has not received the UL listing prior to manufacture. It is not a terribly expensive service to have performed (on a per unit cost basis).

Last edited:
   / Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #32  
Scoob,
If you are so interested, why don't you call them yourself and ask? You said you were dropping out of this thread. I think that speaks to your character and intent. Your purposes have been stated and are clear.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #33  
Scoob,
If you are so interested, why don't you call them yourself and ask? You said you were dropping out of this thread. I think that speaks to your character and intent. Your purposes have been stated and are clear.

Mark, its a valid point isnt it? And as you speak for Everlast, perhaps you can shed some light on which approvals they meet, and why they dont meet the nationally accepted standards of UL and CSA?

From my link, CE is not accepted as a recognized approval in Ontario. This can cause issues for a homeowner if their was a fire and, much more seriously, for a business owner. Fines and lack of insurance coverage can result from using un-approved devices.

Is this not significant in Everlast's eyes? Alot of the people you sell to have no idea on what standards will apply, nor the consequences of using un-approved devices.

From the website:
The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) recognizes certification bodies and field evaluation agencies accredited by the Standards Council of Canada to certify or evaluate electrical products or devices. Only equipment bearing a recognized mark or label is deemed to be approved. A list of recognized marks and labels is available on our website.

Failure to comply with these Rules or the Regulation is an offence and upon conviction, a person or director/officer of a corporation could be found liable to a fine of up to $50,000 and/or imprisonment of not more than one year. A corporation may be found liable to a fine up to $1,000,000.

ESA also has the authority to order products be quarantined, seized or forfeited to the Crown for disposal.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #34  
Everlast Canada is a separate entity. I do not represent them nor speak for them. But I do know that they are in compliance with whatever standards they have to abide by and that they have done what is necessary. Just because it isn't on their site (try finding it on Miller's) doesn't mean they don't have it. Again, why don't you call them if you are so interested?

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #35  
Everlast Canada is a separate entity. I do not represent them nor speak for them. But I do know that they are in compliance with whatever standards they have to abide by and that they have done what is necessary. Just because it isn't on their site (try finding it on Miller's) doesn't mean they don't have it. Again, why don't you call them if you are so interested?

Ahh... going for the whole separate entity thing are we? So the left hand doesnt know what the rights doing? Your the one who mentioned only meeting CE specs. As to miller, i can go out to my barn and see what certifications they have.... not to mention that the big players wouldnt be foolish enough to release product that didnt meet spec. Especially with the risks to their commercial customers

Nice bit of sidestepping there.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #36  
No,
Scooby,
They have different product and different policies than the US. Plain and simple. Separate owners, separate company.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #37  
No,
Scooby,
They have different product and different policies than the US. Plain and simple. Separate owners, separate company.

Reading from both websites seems to lead one to a much different conclusion. Websites are almost exactly the same.

see here

US Site:
The EVERLAST Power Products Company team members would like to welcome you to your one stop source for welders, plasma cutters and generators. Our mission is to offer you the best quality service and welding products.

As our company has grown we have taken pride ourselves on supplying our customers with the best possible customer service before, during and after the sale of our products. We have learned over the years that although our units are economically priced it is our customer service that has created our large base of EVERLAST GREEN loyalists. As we step into the future our commitment to our customers is stronger than ever. We continue to expand our base of operations and have team members on both coasts and in Canada available to answer any of your questions and to meet your welding needs.

Our ISO certified manufacturing operations are globally based, manufacturing our exclusive U.S. and Canadian models of welders and plasma cutters. These units are manufactured using brand name parts and electronics and have many patented advancements in technology and design. A few years ago, as the company began its search for improved operations we knew we must have a product that could compete on the global market, not just for the weekender and hobbyists. While we have not forgotten our humble beginnings and our backbone of support, we now produce a product that is truly on the professional level with much of our customer base coming from the manufacturing and fabrication industries.

As we achieve our mission to ensure we bring you a high quality product and the best customer service, we have now left our competitors behind and move to a new level of excellence. We have stepped up to the national scene by participating head to head with other welding manufacturers at national conventions and shows. Please see our show schedule for a show near you. If you have any local shows or conventions that you would like to see us at please alert us by using the contact us button and we will try to add it to the schedule. You can also check our dealer locator on this site to find a dealer located near you.

Canadian site :

The EVERLAST Power Products Company team members would like to welcome you to your one stop source for welders, plasma cutters and generators. Our mission is to offer you the best quality service and welding products.

As our company has grown we have taken pride in ourselves on supplying our customers with the best possible customer service before, during and after the sale of our products. We have learned over the years that although our units are economically priced it is our customer service that has created our large base of EVERLAST GREEN loyalists. As we step into the future our commitment to our customers is stronger than ever. We continue to expand our base of operations and have team members on both coasts and in Canada available to answer any of your questions and to meet your welding needs.

Our ISO certified manufacturing operations are globally based, manufacturing our exclusive U.S. and Canadian models of welders and plasma cutters. These units are manufactured using brand name parts and electronics and have many patented advancements in technology and design. A few years ago, as the company began its search for improved operations we knew we must have a product that could compete on the global market, not just for the weekender and hobbyists. While we have not forgotten our humble beginnings and our backbone of support, we now produce a product that is truly on the professional level with much of our customer base coming from the manufacturing and fabrication industries.

As we achieve our mission to ensure we bring you a high quality product and the best customer service, we have now left our competitors behind and move to a new level of excellence. We have stepped up to the national scene by participating head to head with other welding manufacturers at national conventions and shows. Please see our show schedule for a show near you. If you have any local shows or conventions that you would like to see us at please alert us by using the contact us button and we will try to add it to the schedule. You can also check our dealer locator on this site to find a dealer near you.

Note the bolded parts by me . Sure sounds like the canadian and us sites are trying to indicate that they are part of the same large company the "EVERLAST Power Products Company " as it were. No mention of an independent canadian organization i can see. I will say the Aussies do make an effort to differentiate themselves from the rest of everlast

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #38  
Here is my contribution from a PP70. Note the beefier air line.

Forget it. Clearly some people just have closed minds and would rather think they are right. All the pictures in the world, your pp70 could work flawlessly for 50 years and it still would be junk in their eyes. All they can do is use FUD to try and prove they know how bad something they don't own is.

I work on multimillion dollar equipment and I'm often swapping out electrical boards for one reason or another. Nothing in any of those pictures is out of the normal for industrial equipment. Next time I get a chance I'll take a few pictures of some solid state drivers that sell for $15k each that I occasionally replace.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #39  
Note the protective coating on the Miller PCB's as well as the quality in general.

Miller:

miller2.png

Miller:

miller.png

Everlast:

everlast.png

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #40  
Note the protective coating on the Miller PCB's as well as the quality in general.

Miller:

miller2.png

Miller:

miller.png

Everlast:

everlast.png

Shhhhhhh... remember to toe the party line... there just as good for 1/3 the price and if you pay more , you're a sucker.:cool: