Pulse VS Short circuit MIG break test.

/ Pulse VS Short circuit MIG break test. #21  
In your case the pulsed MIG appears to wet out better but it's a fillet weld so dwell time is everything. The pulsed is certainly a more asthetic weld.

I haven't been glue gunning much lately. I've been exercising my Precision TIG quite a bit. I find TIG to be much more challenging.

/ Pulse VS Short circuit MIG break test.
In your case the pulsed MIG appears to wet out better but it's a fillet weld so dwell time is everything. The pulsed is certainly a more asthetic weld.

I haven't been glue gunning much lately. I've been exercising my Precision TIG quite a bit. I find TIG to be much more challenging.

TIG is very chalenging, especially for aluminum.

Stainless and mild steel, is a LOT easier. Actually where I work now, we cannot TIG aluminum unlike the last place I was employed. We only have a small DC only TIG machine. But for stainless and mild steels, it does alright.

But it is still more challenging. Having to worry about 3 things (pedal, torch, filler) takes a LOT more coordination than just squeezing the trigger on a MIG gun.

I just made a new charcol starter out of stainless and used the TIG. I will post some pics here in a bit if you'all are interested.

/ Pulse VS Short circuit MIG break test. #23  
TIG is very chalenging, especially for aluminum.

Stainless and mild steel, is a LOT easier. Actually where I work now, we cannot TIG aluminum unlike the last place I was employed. We only have a small DC only TIG machine. But for stainless and mild steels, it does alright.

But it is still more challenging. Having to worry about 3 things (pedal, torch, filler) takes a LOT more coordination than just squeezing the trigger on a MIG gun.

I just made a new charcol starter out of stainless and used the TIG. I will post some pics here in a bit if you'all are interested.

I'd like to see it.

At least with butt welds, no filler rod needed. Years ago I did a bunch of gas welding so I find the TIG to be less of a challenge and more about how I run the cup in relationship to the gage of the material. Actually, I gas welded just about everything. I've been wanting to weld 2 aluminum pop cans together and someday I will, when time allows. TIG is like playing a piano. One hand is doing something the other isn't.

Production wise, you can't beat a glue gun but for extreme asthetic's and weld integrity, the TIG is hard to beat.

I'm fortunate to know a very accomplished TIG welder. He's the person who gives the certification tests to the journeyman welders at a nuclear plant refit. When he's home, I like to pick his brain for knowledge. He's a world traveler.

I'd like to see it.

At least with butt welds, no filler rod needed. Years ago I did a bunch of gas welding so I find the TIG to be less of a challenge and more about how I run the cup in relationship to the gage of the material. Actually, I gas welded just about everything. I've been wanting to weld 2 aluminum pop cans together and someday I will, when time allows. TIG is like playing a piano. One hand is doing something the other isn't.

Production wise, you can't beat a glue gun but for extreme asthetic's and weld integrity, the TIG is hard to beat.

I'm fortunate to know a very accomplished TIG welder. He's the person who gives the certification tests to the journeyman welders at a nuclear plant refit. When he's home, I like to pick his brain for knowledge. He's a world traveler.

Yep, I found learning TIG was rather easy compared to some because I was also a proficent gas welder. But the tig is a little quicker and a little easier to control on the smaller stuff IMO. But LOTS of similarities.

I will post some pics shortly. The thin material is guage steel and no filler was used. I am not sure the guage, I will measure it when I take some pics. But the handle brackets were MUCH thicker, I think 1/4" and it was a TEE joint, so I used filler for them.

Some pics as promised.

I'll admit that this isnt my best work. I only had 1 hour to whip this up start to finish. Starting with just a sheet of steel. (which was 16ga BTW). By the time I got it cut to size, holes punched, rolled, etc I didnt have much time to weld it together. So it was a bit of a rush job, but will work just fine for me.

I still need a peice of wood to finish off the handle.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• E41A0446.JPG
    E41A0446.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 134
  • E41A0447.JPG
    E41A0447.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 147
  • E41A0448.JPG
    E41A0448.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 136
  • E41A0449.JPG
    E41A0449.JPG
    436.8 KB · Views: 137
   / Pulse VS Short circuit MIG break test. #26  
Trust me, I am no better at Tig Welding than you. It's fun though and you do get good at it if you do more of it. The guys who came up doing gas welding usually make great Tig welders. Pop Cans? Easier than you think. Just use .040 size tungsten, 8-10 amps. Stainless brush the coating off of the bottom of each can..Heat up your rod with the Tig torch and make a small piece fall into the joint. Work it slowly and it will start to flow out like soldering. Then add more or do the same on the other side. After a while it will be stuck together. After that, You can add and start to make Tig looking beads until everyone thinks you just picked it up and welded it. I do Pop cans with Mig too. Twin Pulse .035 wire. Low power, Blob some on and eventually you can run it all together as a bead. Looks like you just laid 1 bead. Carnival stuff.

/ Pulse VS Short circuit MIG break test. #27  
Some pics as promised.

I'll admit that this isnt my best work. I only had 1 hour to whip this up start to finish. Starting with just a sheet of steel. (which was 16ga BTW). By the time I got it cut to size, holes punched, rolled, etc I didnt have much time to weld it together. So it was a bit of a rush job, but will work just fine for me.

I still need a peice of wood to finish off the handle.:thumbsup:

Some black rattlecan HT paint and a wood handle = a summer or two of charcoal BBQ's. No propaqne grill at this house either.

Trust me, I am no better at Tig Welding than you. It's fun though and you do get good at it if you do more of it. The guys who came up doing gas welding usually make great Tig welders. Pop Cans? Easier than you think. Just use .040 size tungsten, 8-10 amps. Stainless brush the coating off of the bottom of each can..Heat up your rod with the Tig torch and make a small piece fall into the joint. Work it slowly and it will start to flow out like soldering. Then add more or do the same on the other side. After a while it will be stuck together. After that, You can add and start to make Tig looking beads until everyone thinks you just picked it up and welded it. I do Pop cans with Mig too. Twin Pulse .035 wire. Low power, Blob some on and eventually you can run it all together as a bead. Looks like you just laid 1 bead. Carnival stuff.

I bought the PT225 at my friends suggestion. I figure he knows. All they run are Lincoln TIG's. When I first got it, he stopped by the shop. We were talking and he spied my Starrett tape measure on the bench and before I realized what was happening, he grabbed it, pulled it out a bit and snapped the tape in two. At that point, I was getting a little hot, after all Starrett ain't cheap and he just trashed my tape measure.

Quick as a wink, He took my tape measure, clamped it to a copper backer and tigged it back together, barely discoloring the paint. It's still together today.

I still like the pop can joining.:thumbsup:

Some black rattlecan HT paint and a wood handle = a summer or two of charcoal BBQ's. No propaqne grill at this house either.

I dont think I am going to paint it. For starters, I dont think any paint will hold up to the heat of this thing being filled with glowing red charcoal:confused2:

And It is made of stainless anyhow. I would be worried that the paint burning up would leave a bad taste, since the charcoal will be in direct contact.

/ Pulse VS Short circuit MIG break test. #29  
It will get a pretty rainbow hue.......

I've painted stainless before, you just rough it up a bit for adhesion and not the inside, just the outside, After all, all BBQ accessories are supposed to be black......

I believe it has something to do with not cleaning them.:)

It will get a pretty rainbow hue.......

I've painted stainless before, you just rough it up a bit for adhesion and not the inside, just the outside, After all, all BBQ accessories are supposed to be black......

I believe it has something to do with not cleaning them.:)

I am not worried about adhesion. But even on the outside, I think the paint will just burn off. I think I am just going to leave it stainless