favourite stick rod

/ favourite stick rod #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
Well the title pretty much says it all. My favourite rod now is the blueshield 6011 from air liquide. I am thinking that might change when I get dc and start using 7018s. So whats yours?

/ favourite stick rod #2  
Well the title pretty much says it all. My favourite rod now is the blueshield 6011 from air liquide. I am thinking that might change when I get dc and start using 7018s. So whats yours?

If you're like me, your favorite will change to 7018 when you get DC.

Mine use to be what ever worked with AC, but by far the best beads with ac came out with 7024. But that is a horizontal use rod (in position) I got real good at flipping things over so I could still use the 7024.

Right now with DC the only rod I need is 7018. At my limited skill level I really wouldn't care if there was no other rods available.

JB

/ favourite stick rod #3  

I like 7014 drag rod, 1/8 inch. It's not as sensitive to moisture as 7018 and is easy to weld with on DC positive. 7024 drag rod is really easy to use also.

/ favourite stick rod
I am thinking of getting a box of 7024 rods next time I am at air liquide. Only 200# of o2 left, so I will be going fairly soon.

/ favourite stick rod #5  
6011 in the 1/8 and 5/32 diameter. Good penetrating rod for old farm equipment. Ken Sweet

/ favourite stick rod #6  
7018. kinda hard to restrike unless you break off the "corn" or covering on the end of the rod after you finish a bead, but the appearence of the bead is great. And they run so smooth. I use 6011 for deep penetration on dirty metal and 6013 some too for sheet metal and tack up, but its 7018 for me when ever possible.

James K0UA

/ favourite stick rod #7  
I like 7014 drag rod, 1/8 inch. It's not as sensitive to moisture as 7018 and is easy to weld with on DC positive. 7024 drag rod is really easy to use also.
X2, Been using the 7014 forever. 7018 for the big stuff.

/ favourite stick rod #8  
6013 and 7018. Both from Air Liquide.

/ favourite stick rod
The only problem I have had with my 6011s is that some of them have about 1/8" of flux over the end of the rod, but a quick tap on the floor fixes that. The other thing is these rods are a few years old, and have dried out. So I diped some of them in water and let dry in the sun for a few days, and they worked much better.

/ favourite stick rod #10  
6011 for thick, and 6013 for thin or top dressing..

soundguy