Drill bit sharpening

/ Drill bit sharpening #41  
I guess I am a sell out I learned how to hand sharpen bits in high school. I took machine tool for 3 years but since I have gotten a little older and wiser haha I tried the DD but could never get good results I guess I was asking for more than it could deliver so I went to Grizzly.com and bought a semi professional bit sharpener. I own a fab business so I go through quite a few bits and was getting tired of hand sharpening 1/2" and smaller bits. This thing in principal was similar to a DD but much better and cost quite a bit more to me it was money WELL spent just my 2 cents worth

/ Drill bit sharpening #42  
Three methods:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GID_kRsWnZk]Drill Bit Sharpening - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkDe8IatSw0]Sharpening drill bits - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7kGFcM2sc]How to Sharpen Tools : Sharpening a Drill Bit - YouTube[/ame]

More videos are on Youtube.

Bruce

Hmmm, Lemme see if I can fix the links...what the heck is [ A ME /?

How to Sharpen Tools : Sharpening a Drill Bit - YouTube

Sharpening drill bits - YouTube

Twist Drill Sharpening - YouTube

/ Drill bit sharpening #43  
If that first guy sharpened any of my drill bits like that, I'd smack him!:punch:

/ Drill bit sharpening #44  
Hey, let's not be too hasty about the Drill Doctor. I have one and find it to be a simple and easy way to sharpen a bit up through 3/4". You do have to be very careful that you index the drill bit carefully before you start grinding. However, properly set, the Doctor does a good job of giving you a symmetric drill point that will cut equally on each edge. Sometimes the Doctor doesn't give as aggressive a cutting edge as I want and in those cases I revert to free hand grinding on the bench grinder.

If you don't index the bit carefully, the Doctor will give you something that looks a lot like a pencil point though!

/ Drill bit sharpening #45  
Both ways do, but which one shows you are really are a craftsman? And which is quicker, cheaper, when learning the skill at no cost? I've bought these expensive bits..etc that last longer, but I get more life out of the cheap ones hand ground now that I know how to sharpen them correctly. Really easy to do once you learn how to. Take some spare time to learn it and it will pay off shortly. And when you close the shop or shed doors you will smile.

/ Drill bit sharpening #46  
Like I said before, DD is OK if your doing fab work. If your drilling 2.5" deep in 316 stainless with an 1/8" drill, you ain't doing it with a doctored drill. Each person has a different tolerance zone.

/ Drill bit sharpening #47  
Has anyone got a version of this I can print out and send to my brother. He does not have a computer and will not get one, but asked me to show him how easy it can be. And about one thousand miles seperate us.

/ Drill bit sharpening #48  
   / Drill bit sharpening #49  
Is this what you're looking for? The font is kind of small though.

View attachment 284934

yes, well no, I'm trying to find something to print out as to how to do it rather than a vid. ,, you see he has no computer or way to play a file from youtube.

Last edited:
   / Drill bit sharpening #50  
While on the topic of sharpening, how about tips for sharpening step bits, such as unibit or varibits. I have had pretty good luck with using my diamond wheel on my chain saw grinder. Cutting lengthwise along the trough only, it does a pretty good job. Any other tips?