Multipurpose Chop Saw

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw
I would really like to have one, but I just don't do enough of that kind of work. What little I do the Ellis does just fine. If I was a high production shop I'd have one already, but just being a hobbyist I can't justify it.:confused3:

I'm just not buying you being a "hobbyist". You seem to be somewhat more knowledgeable than that. Heck, your signature hints at more than just a fleeting interest in metal working.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #12  
Nope just a hobbyist. With a really really bad problem, who needs to seek help! :eek:

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #13  
Shield Arc said:
Nope just a hobbyist. With a really really bad problem, who needs to seek help! :eek:

Gotta call bs Shield Arc...on the hobbyist part; really really bad problem very probable lol

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #14  
I have a 14" abrasive chop saw that I loved until I tried this hand held COLD SAW from HF. I bought it when it was on sale and I really put it through its paces to see what it would do. I was impressed and I will likely get a chop saw style cold saw. The price from Menards is the best price I have seen.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #15  
dex3361 said:
I have a 14" abrasive chop saw that I loved until I tried this hand held COLD SAW from HF. I bought it when it was on sale and I really put it through its paces to see what it would do. I was impressed and I will likely get a chop saw style cold saw.

Thats not a cold saw. Cold saws run arround 100 rpm, and require coolant.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #16  
In all fairness though, the OP wasnt asking about cold saws then. Since the one he is asking about is a 1450rpm saw with a 14" blade. Equates to about the same blade tip speed of the smaller-higher-rpm saw.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw
Thats not a cold saw. Cold saws run arround 100 rpm, and require coolant.

What do I call it if I can't call it a cold saw? The add said "dry metal cutting without producing heat". If there is no heat then there are no sparks flying out the back, and that is what "sparked" my interest.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #18  
bigtiller said:
What do I call it if I can't call it a cold saw? The add said "dry metal cutting without producing heat". If there is no heat then there are no sparks flying out the back, and that is what "sparked" my interest.

Seems like its inbetween an abrasive saw(hot), and a cold saw. Warm saw perhaps.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #19  

It is technically called a "dry cut saw". No sparks, no black boogers.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #20  
I got one of the green Evolution Fury saws to try out cutting steel.

It cut well (but not accurately as it was too flexible with the weight of a length of steel section on it) but though spark free it threw off red hot shavings in all directions. I had to wear a hat and my welding face shield and even then I was digging bits of swarf out of my clothes and any other exposed skin.
It is also incredibly noisy, even with ear defenders on.

It is quick but hand cutting with a hacksaw was less stressful.

The blade didn't last long and part way through a job it just stopped cutting. Over a year now and I still haven't gotten round to replacing it or having it sharpened.

I think I will replace it with a bandsaw.