Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300 HST 4WD

Default Welding rear end of jd 4300

Using the box blade yesterday and broke the connection point on the frame for one of the lift arms. I'm going to try and attach a picture in case it's not clear where I'm talking about.

Anyway, I luckily found both small pieces. I ground the edges of all sides to give a nice deep v. I lined up a piece and tried to tack it with my lincoln 225 and a 6013. That's when I realized something wasn't right.

I'm assuming the frame of this thing is a different type type of material and will require a special rod and particular settings (amps). Any advice would be appreciated. I am also planning to beef up the repair using some fabricated plating material. Any problems using regular steel in combination with the frame material assuming I get the right rods?

I'm fairly confident with my welding abilities but have never welded anything but good ol fashion steel. I apologize for the dark picture. My phone battery was low and the flash wouldn't work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -20130430_204550-jpg  

Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

Default Re: Welding rear end of jd 4300

How much did it spark when you were grinding it?

A lot, like normal steel?

Just a little?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

I believe these axle housings are aluminum.This seems to be a common failure point on the 4300. I suspect you might have to replace the housing.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

A magnet would tell the tale pretty quick. But the sparks (or lack thereof) when you ground should have told you too.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300 HST 4WD

You know I didn't even think about the lack of sparks and the light weight. I'm gonna have to replace e the housing. Dang. Anyone got a part number and (cringing) rough cost?

Honestly I've never looked all that close at this hookup but it just looks to be weakly designed. There's gonna be a lot of tension at times on those little "ears".

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300 HST 4WD

And I'm guessing an experienced welder can't even fix this aluminum?

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by arkvet View Post
    And I'm guessing an experienced welder can't even fix this aluminum?
    I think the housing will cost well over a $1000, and then there is the labor to consider. I suspect it could be TIG'ed by someone with a good TIG rig to do aluminum alloy. And perhaps "built up a bit". I sure can't do it. I can TIG steel and stainless but not Aluminum alloy which is what I suspect that it is. Check with a Marine Prop shop rebuilding place, They TIG up Propellers.. Maybe they can help

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Iseki TA 247. Husqvarna 54", Cub Zero Turn.Polaris 850 ATV's Stihl 018 026 Pro, 029, 034 Super AV, 039, 044 Mag. Stihl Pole Saw.

In the right hands even Alumininum is an easy fix. See if you can find someone with a 300 amp AC/DC or a Twin Pulse Mig. The nice thing about Aluminum is that it's easy to pile it on and it's easy to take it back down into shape. I'm not sure what the part was supposed to look like so the pic didn't tell me how it looked when it was made but it is possible to add strenghth to aluminum joints. Good luck..

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300 HST 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Aluminum alloy which is what I suspect that it is. Check with a Marine Prop shop rebuilding place, They TIG up Propellers..
    Now that you mention it this is exactly what the material looks like! I've broken a fin off an aluminum prop before and no doubt, same stuff!

Thanks. I've made a contact to a guy that knows a guy... that is supposed to be able to weld anything. Fingers crossed!

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

I'm surprised John Deere would use cast aluminum there! I would bet anything they would have used cast steel.

Just went out and checked mine, none magnetic!

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    Everlast PowerArc 300.
    5 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.