Folding Cutting Table Question????

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #21  
A simple solution but I cannot tell how thick the hinge material is and weather it would be strong enough.

Add another piece of flat bar and drill a pin hole. Pictures would show better than me describing

weld table.jpg

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #22  
Is there any way you can hinge a pair of legs on the end of your cutting table ? Maybe lock them with spring loaded pins . Just thinking . You had back surgery and are building a welding table ?

/ Folding Cutting Table Question????
If you DO go the slider route they would need to be 'shielded ' so that slag and dross don't inhibit the sliding.

Terry

Yep, in the middle of the night I thought about that downside. :)

I would do the folding angle braces mentioned earlier. Like those fold up tables use, that concept. No pins to pull, just lift up on the top, bump the braces in the middle, and lower the top... no tools, quick, strong. And less if not no slag issues.

This is what I'm leaning toward.

I like Bruce's idea of swinging triangles too, but think the construction part would be a little more complicated in regards to creating strong hinge points.

I also like Shield Arc's idea of flat bar straps. I just can't get it in my head how to store them when folded. I'd want one end to be fastened so they wouldn't get lost. That means I'd hafta figure out some way for them to swing out of the way when folded and stay with the table.

I think I'll fab up a folding brace this morning and see how it works.

Thank you guys very much for all the ideas. Once I get this part done I'll start a thread concerning the table build.

This is an interesting thread. Thanks Richard... and I love that table. I was leaning towards Terry's idea until he mentioned shielding for slag. Obviously he is ahead of me... maybe I need to crack a beer and catch up? BTW, it will have to be a Tiger brand beer as I am in Singapore and it is Friday night so I guess I am due. :D

I don't know but for some reason, I am thinking of the old folding metal card tables, and liked how the legs quickly folded out with a push of a button. Not suggesting a fancy hinge like that but I think I would want vertical legs supporting the extended end so I could load it up as much as I wanted and there would be no concern of the table flipping. I do need that beer to proceed with the detail design though.

:drink:

I want the cutting table to support 150lbs or so. Right now the table itself weighs 600lbs. So I'm not real concerned about flipping the table. I'm not sure I can fab a latching hinge to satisfy me.

I compare this to painting a car. I can shoot paint. But I can't shoot paint good enough to satisfy my self criticism. I can fab stuff but sometimes not good enough to approve it's design. So I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. :)

A simple solution but I cannot tell how thick the hinge material is and weather it would be strong enough.

Add another piece of flat bar and drill a pin hole. Pictures would show better than me describing

Yep. I thought about that but couldn't figure out how to do it without having that horizontal fixed bracket sticking out when the table is folded down?? Be a crotch catcher for sure!!!!

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #27  
It really wont stick out much beyond the grating when its folded down. Maybe an inch or two?

You had back surgery and are building a welding table ?

Yeah, guess the surgery didn't fix my brain as you were hoping..... ;)

It really wont stick out much beyond the grating when its folded down. Maybe an inch or two?

Yeah, as I'm typing I'm looking at the table and think you are right. When the top is folded down it sticks out past the end of the table 2".

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #30  
Yeah upon further reflection (staring in my beer) I did some quick math in my head and it would be very hard to flip that. Just need solid support/brace back to the attaching legs. I am liking that table more and more. One thing I would want to be sure of, would be a nice flat platform across the entire length when extended.