Generator advice for welder

/ Generator advice for welder #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I have an AC DC arc welder that I'm comfortable with. I've been clearing my fence line for years now and this fall and winter, I would really like to start building my corners. To do this, I feel I need to weld the pipe together in place. This means I need power for my welder. I would prefer not to buy another welder, but if it gets too pricey, might just hire it out. But having a bigger generator does have a lot of appeal to me.

What do you guys use to power your welders when running off of a generator? Is 30 amps enough? Seems like that's what most of the generators have, if they have 240 volts at all. Even the couple of grand diesel generators only have 30 amp outlets.

If I had 30 amps, could I still weld pipe together for a fence using smaller rod and welding short runs at a time?

Thank you

/ Generator advice for welder #2  
Buy a Gas/diesel welder and then you would have a portable generator if needed;or just rent one for your project.

/ Generator advice for welder #4  
I use a 3500W generator to power a 230V Lincoln 175 wire feed welder. I use .035 flux core wire and run it on the 2nd highest amperage setting (it's a tapped unit, not continuously adjustable). I'm able to weld Sch40 2 3/8" galvanized pipe with it just fine. The generator definitely works but, it does the job.

/ Generator advice for welder #6  
Be careful with inverter welders on generators, they're not as forgiving of dirty power as a coil type machine is. I'm not saying it won't work, the results can just be unpredictable and erratic.

/ Generator advice for welder #7  
Be careful with inverter welders on generators, they're not as forgiving of dirty power as a coil type machine is. I'm not saying it won't work, the results can just be unpredictable and erratic.

I got tired of lugging those heavy SOB's a long time ago. I have not had any issues with the inverters running on generators but others may have had a different experience.
Picture 012.jpg

/ Generator advice for welder #8  
For anyone looking to power an inverter welder with a generator: A search for "clean power generator" will likely bring up a couple of generators recommended to run inverter welder. READ THE REVIEWS! Pay special attention to what they say about the engine. I'd like to hear some opinions because, I want one myself.

/ Generator advice for welder #9  
I've used one of the amazon bargain propane generators that were discussed on this board. They go on sale occasionally for $600.
Amazon.com: DuroMax XP1EH, 8 Running Watts/1 Starting Watts, Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I usually just run 1/8" rod on about 120 amps. This was using a ESAB 161 inverter welder.

I bought one of these for $650 last year and it has up to a 50 amp plug. I use this plug at times to run my tombstone type welder. It doesn't hardly slow it down. Plus I run it on LP.

/ Generator advice for welder #10  
I bought one of these for $650 last year and it has up to a 50 amp plug. I use this plug at times to run my tombstone type welder. It doesn't hardly slow it down. Plus I run it on LP.

I may get one of those and put it on a trailer with my old tombstone. My problem is, I bought an inverter welder from Mark and hate to go back to the transformer. Mark recommended clean power a while back. Mark please correct me if I'm wrong.