Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out?

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I decided to try my Lincoln 210MP on 240 V tonight.

I looked the manual over and didn't see anything saying how to switch from 120 to 240, other than use the correct power cord (it comes with two).

I plugged it all up and flipped the power switch.

The machine appeared to come on briefly, I heard a loud pop and thought I saw a flash in the back of the machine. There was also an electrical smell.

I went to the electrical panel in the wall and the breaker was tripped. This breaker is two switches connected together. Each switch is marked 50A.

I unplugged everything, switched the breaker on and used a multi meter to check the outlet. Hooking between the ground and one of the hots gave ~ 122 V. Hooking between the ground and the other hot gave an identical reading. Hooking between the two hots gave ~244 V.

I am leery of trying the connection again without seeking help.

I am also leery of putting the 120 V cord on and going back to the 120 outlet as I don't know if something in the machine is damaged.

I plan to call the welding shop where purchased and/or Lincoln but also thought I'd reach out here.

What is the best (safest) way to have this checked?

Thanks.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #2  
If you let ANY of the prepackaged smoke
There was also an electrical smell.
out I strongly advise taking it to your dealer. That smoke is EXPENSIVE.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #3  
Yep the smoke isn’t good. Take your meter and check ohms on the cord adapter.....if I’m understanding that right.
Lincoln should have a fuse or breaker in or on the machine. Look through the manual to find that.....that’s a long shot solution though. If your panel breaker was tripped and you smelled smoke I’m guessing something inside the machine shorted and Lincoln will be doing some warranty work/replacement. Sorry it happened- bummer.

Hopefully the 240v plug wasn’t a 120v plug wired wrong or a 240v with a hot and ground switched.....that obviously would do it too.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out?
Yep the smoke isn’t good. Take your meter and check ohms on the cord adapter...

I'm not understanding what you mean there. I checked continuity on both cords. Based on the one prong that has a "leg" on it (machine connection side, not wall receptacle side), the ground prong is the same on both cords.

I'll bet I've just got a bad machine and Lincoln will make it right.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #5  
I'm not understanding what you mean there. I checked continuity on both cords. Based on the one prong that has a "leg" on it (machine connection side, not wall receptacle side), the ground prong is the same on both cords.

Sounds like your Lincoln had a leaky smoke tank. Lucas used to sell replacement smoke kits for their wiring harnesses but Lincoln always shunned the practice. Let the dealer sort in out under warranty.

Attachments

• smokekit.jpg
    smokekit.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Smokekit2.jpg
    Smokekit2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 313
   / Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #6  

I think it’s my bad for not understanding. You wrote it has two cords 120v and 240v and I conflated that into a cord and an adapter.

Anyway it sounds like you have done everything to verify the power to the unit was and is correct and the problem with the machine is internal.

Those machines seem to be popular from the homeowners to schools to commercial welders. Sounds like a fluke- unfortunately for you.

Sorry it happened and I hope it didn’t hang you up.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #7  
Sounds like your Lincoln had a leaky smoke tank. Lucas used to sell replacement smoke kits for their wiring harnesses but Lincoln always shunned the practice. Let the dealer sort in out under warranty.

I don’t know if you were trying to be funny or confuse the OP but showing a picture of what is clearly for the Miller Welder doesn’t help- read the part number on the bottle!

I don’t know if you were trying to be funny or confuse the OP but showing a picture of what is clearly for the Miller Welder doesn’t help- read the part number on the bottle!

He's just being a jerk. Don't know why.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #9  
I can appreciate your frustration with the failure. Not trying to be a jerk B.B., my intention was just to add a bit of levity to the situation. The warranty comment, however, was serious and meant to be helpful.

No worries, CD. Hard to understand intent on an Internet forum.

Welder is back to the dealer.