feedback on HF AD welding helmet

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #52  
The lens that I purchased was an "El-Cheapo". Less than $3. there is no frame aroung it, just all one piece of plastic. It fit on the inside of my HF-AD helmet, beneath the wire that holds the lens assembly together. I did have to stretch the wire bale some but it has been in there and hasn't moved. I also wear glasses. Hope this may help some.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #53  
3RRL said:
I am a toolmaker and have several of these "Optivisors" lying around with different magnification lenses. They are the standard used in the machining trade. I took one of the lenses and glued them into my old helmet. I used dabs of silicon in 4 corners. I have not tried them into the HF helmet yet because it's at camp and I use my reading glasses under them. If you use your reading glasses AND the magnifiers you get more magnification, but you have to stick your face closer to the work to focus.

Thanks for the link 3RRL. The "AccurSite" looks interesting. I am in need of something of this sort to help me see better when sharpening chainsaws. think these would work? I ask because the distance I would need is more than what is listed.

I've got drad-ratted, somagun cateracts. Will need the laser treatment in 6 months according to the Dr. When I mentioned that I occasional weld, she said that might account some for me having them so young. I'm 60. (Didn't know that was "so young").

I have my doubts that occasional welding attributed to this condition. I have been flashed , certainly, but I just don't weld that much. I think it is aliens myself. They have been here. I know, because when I set a tool down, they move it so I have to search and swear till I find it...:rolleyes:

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #54  
Which HF AD helmet do you guys recommend. The 91214 or the 46092. They are both $49.99, but one is solar powered.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #55  
bamabadboy said:
Which HF AD helmet do you guys recommend. The 91214 or the 46092. They are both $49.99, but one is solar powered.

I have the solar power. OPEC has no control over the price of that...last time I checked that is. :)

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #56  
bamabadboy said:

I have the one with the flames on it. I think it has a faster reaction time. It is also solar powered and has a battery backup.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #57  
bamabadboy said:
I have HF's 91212, "1/25,000 switching speed". About a year old. It works fine.

Today I tried a standard hood with a name-brand #9 filter alternately with this HF hood set on 9, to compare filtering. The HF's scale seems accurate.

Sandlot said:
I set the angle adjustment holes (next to the tension knobs) to the last hole. No more problem with nose prints on the lens!
I was smudging mine also, and that solved it. Thanks!