My New Yanmar 221

/ My New Yanmar 221
The 221 has been really good for the most part. For me, it has been a time of learning and getting used to a new machine. The engine runs smoothly and has plenty of power for my needs.
I have had a few issues with an oil leak out of the mid mount pto. The dealer is not sure of why this keeps happening. I think some stubble when I was doing some brush hogging is the culprit. The MM PTO is really low to the ground.
The Mid Mount Mower can be a ***** to attach to the tractor. The actual connecting is easy but the mower is a bit cumbersome to move into position. I think the wheels on the back of the deck need to be castors like on the front. The rubber wheels are hard to slide on the cement. I also have read the MMM manual and there is no section in the book on how to connect the deck to the tractor. I have told my dealer and contacted Yanmar about this. Another issue with the MMM is I wish there was a height adjusting knob on the tractor to better control the height of cut. The mower does a great job of mowing and discharging the grass.
I also had a quick hitch installed so hooking up my cutter and box blade is easier.
Over all the 221 is a really nice tractor. I really enjoy using it. Like I said earlier it has been a learning curve for me. It's surely different the Cub Cadet I had for over 10 years.

/ My New Yanmar 221 #12  
Mike -

Same issues with the older Sc's...and probably every SCUT. Have to lift up the front end to slide the deck underneath....and not easy to move....and hooking up the PTO shaft is a B___tch with no room to get in there. The newer drive-over decks alleviate some of the issue, but you're probably paying extra for the luxury......:laughing:

Glad U like it!

/ My New Yanmar 221
Hi Frank,

Well, I am glad that I am not alone then! I have more trouble hooking up the front of the mower to the tractor than I do the PTO. It's more of not getting the front in the correct position. I took me an hour and a quick trip to the dealer the get it back on. I was doing it wrong. The manual to the MMM was useless as it does not have the procedure in the book. I know how to do it now.
What has been real fun is connecting the bush hog. The shield on the rear pto and the guard on the drive shaft to the bush hog and the lack of room makes it hard to connect because I can't see what I am doing. I am getting better though!:)
Now, I wish the money fairy would bring me a wad of cash so I can get so more attachments!

/ My New Yanmar 221 #14  
Is there a drive-over deck option for the 221 ?

/ My New Yanmar 221
I don't think there is. It would be great if they did. This deck is a pain to move. I would be happy if the rear wheels on the deck were casters like the front. Then it could just be rolled out.

Michael

/ My New Yanmar 221 #16  
The 221 has been really good for the most part. For me, it has been a time of learning and getting used to a new machine. The engine runs smoothly and has plenty of power for my needs.
I have had a few issues with an oil leak out of the mid mount pto. The dealer is not sure of why this keeps happening. I think some stubble when I was doing some brush hogging is the culprit. The MM PTO is really low to the ground.
The Mid Mount Mower can be a ***** to attach to the tractor. The actual connecting is easy but the mower is a bit cumbersome to move into position. I think the wheels on the back of the deck need to be castors like on the front. The rubber wheels are hard to slide on the cement. I also have read the MMM manual and there is no section in the book on how to connect the deck to the tractor. I have told my dealer and contacted Yanmar about this. Another issue with the MMM is I wish there was a height adjusting knob on the tractor to better control the height of cut. The mower does a great job of mowing and discharging the grass.
I also had a quick hitch installed so hooking up my cutter and box blade is easier.
Over all the 221 is a really nice tractor. I really enjoy using it. Like I said earlier it has been a learning curve for me. It's surely different the Cub Cadet I had for over 10 years.

When you install or remove the MMM deck you need to turn the rear deck wheels 90 degrees so it will roll in and out. Really takes the work out of it. I have not been overly happy with the scalping on my 221 MMM. Seems like my other mowers gouge and scalp much less. I have 33 hours on my tractor and a bunch of bolts and pins fell out of the mower. Poorly assembled by the dealer. Dealer charged $35 for $10.00 of pins and clips. The next closest dealer is 100+ miles from me. My mower has been down more than up as my dealer could not provide a parts list and made me bring the parts in before he would order. Also, would not answer questions as to if there is a warranty on the deck. Mower is down again with a shredded belt and belt took out the plastic guards when it went. Looks like I will need to take the gear box off the mower to change the belt. Hmmm.. bad design. Also still do not have any manuals for this portion of maintenance. I like the tractor but service has been sub par and not so sure about deck design. I have lots of other mowers, tractors, bobcats, excavators, etc. from other dealers and would say "Avoid Wood Sales and Service out of Black River Falls, WI"

/ My New Yanmar 221 #17  
When you install or remove the MMM deck you need to turn the rear deck wheels 90 degrees so it will roll in and out. Really takes the work out of it. I have not been overly happy with the scalping on my 221 MMM. Seems like my other mowers gouge and scalp much less. I have 33 hours on my tractor and a bunch of bolts and pins fell out of the mower. Poorly assembled by the dealer. Dealer charged $35 for $10.00 of pins and clips. The next closest dealer is 100+ miles from me. My mower has been down more than up as my dealer could not provide a parts list and made me bring the parts in before he would order. Also, would not answer questions as to if there is a warranty on the deck. Mower is down again with a shredded belt and belt took out the plastic guards when it went. Looks like I will need to take the gear box off the mower to change the belt. Hmmm.. bad design. Also still do not have any manuals for this portion of maintenance. I like the tractor but service has been sub par and not so sure about deck design. I have lots of other mowers, tractors, bobcats, excavators, etc. from other dealers and would say "Avoid Wood Sales and Service out of Black River Falls, WI"

I bought my LX490 from Wood Sales and Service out of Black River Falls, WI. They're good people and I've received very good service from them. I think there are rules on here about dealer bashing.

/ My New Yanmar 221 #18  

Greetings Jakes Green Building,

For more than 4 decades my dad and I have bought equipment from Woods Sales and Service including a garden tractor just this spring. And I was inches away from buying a new sc2400 before someone snapped up the last of those.

I couldn't disagree more on why someone should consider their dealership. They are honest, concerned, and reliable. And they aren't a small dealer either. Their client list would be large and repeat customer oriented. A family success story for small and large customers alike.

By the way jakes green building . . I'm amazed that with ALL your supposed equipment . . that this was your very first and only post.

Last edited:
   / My New Yanmar 221 #19  

Greetings again Jakes green building,

Your opinion just didn't seem right to not have an appropriate audience . . . so I thought I'd pass it on to Harvey for his perspective. That way what you're telling them and what you're telling us agree :)

/ My New Yanmar 221

I have lost a few pins and clips too. The manuel for the MMM could be better. I think it's a little vague on some of the procedures.