Ballast Just bought a 186D

/ Just bought a 186D #1  

Pete Judd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186d, JD 314
I just got my new to me 186d home today, and spent a couple of hours mowing. My place has some hill issues, and the tractor came with a 5 foot brushhog. There are 3 Yanmar suitcase weights on the front end, but it still seems to "pull wheeles" I am thinking about building a box that hangs on the front end, to hold a couple of bags of sand. I also want to reverse the rear tires for more stability, and don't know how well it stresses the axel. This tractor has the power steering, and the power shift. I will be getting a FEL as soon as I can afford it. Any suggestions will be nice.

And I hope I posted this in the right place

Pete

/ Just bought a 186D #2  
Welcome! You have come to the right place.

I have a YM186D too, my second Yanmar. It has 240 lbs of suitcase weights on the front bumper and the rear hubs turned out to give maximum width. It would be nice if it had power steering but it doesn't need it without a loader.

There are several owners of YM186D on here, and also several owners of its Japan-market twin YM1510D.

How well does yours run that 5ft mower in high grass?

/ Just bought a 186D #3  
Pete, you are obligated to post photos!
I have a 186D also. I love it.
If the mower is sitting on the ground, not sure why the front end is light. Mine is only light when I'm transporting the mower, not at all when it's mowing, and I have no front weights.

/ Just bought a 186D #4  
A 5' brushhog is too big for a 186D.You need a 4 footer.

/ Just bought a 186D #5  
Instead of sand you can use lead wheel weights. Find a busy tire store and buy their lead as they scrap it anyway. You will get a lot more weight for the space.

/ Just bought a 186D #6  
Welcome to the 186D family. I bought mine last March....so far......so good. Great little tractor. They are fairly light. I have a FEL.....went to move some gravel around.....lifted the rear tires right off the ground. My solution.....I had an old washing machine tub.....drilled some holes in it....ran a bar through it....filled it with rocks.....attached it to my three point.....problem solved! I think it weighs about 400lbs. Keeps those tires right where they should be....on the ground! Have fun with the tractor........be safe.:):)

/ Just bought a 186D
Alvanko, yes the front end is light with the mower up, but seems to be ok when down. Thanks for the replies. Will try to get some pics posted.

/ Just bought a 186D #8  
Pete I would think the 5 footer would bog down pretty easily in tall grass. I am running a KK 4 footer that seems about right.

Chris

/ Just bought a 186D #9  
I'm only running a 5 footer on my 3110

/ Just bought a 186D #10  
I think a 4 ft mower is all my YM186D wants - and this tractor dyno-tested as meeting new specs.

In this picture the combination of heavy grass and going uphill was a little over its head. I had to stop and shift to intermediate range. Raising the mower a little got me most of the way up the grade as I shifted down H3-H2-H1, but I didn't make it quite to the top. Overall a 5 ft mower would be more productive but it would be awful hard on the tractor, in the tall grass here.

(There are more pictures over in this thread).

163274d1272316572-mowing-big-twin-ym240-vs-p1590065rym186dmow3.jpg