Our "new" 186D

/ Our "new" 186D #1  

buckstar25

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
image-1854158394.jpg

image-2240031626.jpg

So there she is, found this kind of by accident because I was out and about. Got the number and called. After a long and painful conversation with the owner...painful on his part because he just did not want to get rid of the tractor....I gave my dad a call and told him he needed to check it out the rest is history. We pick it up Saturday.

14hrs on it, I believe he said it is a 1992 model came with the blade shown, dump trailer, roller and hopper spreader.

I would like to hear what the people familiar with these tractors think the price should have been. And any opinions on the unit itself, it is not a grey market tractor I know that but any other advice or comments will be greatly appreciated!

/ Our "new" 186D #2  
If it only has fourteen hours on it, it IS new! The 186 is an excellent machine, I really like mine. The Powershift is a significant improvement over a standard gear driven machine, and begins to approach a hydrostatic transmission in usability, while not suffering from as much mechanical inefficiency.

/ Our "new" 186D
Yeah I couldn't believe the low hours either. He had a Steiner for majority of his work around the farm and he said the kids liked to ride on it so he kept it. He used it for finish mowing with a 6' mower.

About the power shift, do I need to use the clutch when shifting? He said he always did but thought it wasn't needed? Would using the clutch help prolong the life of the transmission?

I loved the wide tire kit, he didn't like how the Ag tires would tear up his pasture if he hit a soft spot. I was kind of worried about using the turf tires around the property but he did pretty much everything we will be doing and said the wider tires work great....

/ Our "new" 186D #4  
From what I understand the 186 was a 1979-1981 model. If the powershift lever is on the dash it is a later year, on the "hump" early.

You will love the powershift, you do not need to use the clutch to shift, but it does take a little getting used to it.

I wish I had the turf tires on mine, an option according to the manual.

/ Our "new" 186D #5  
The shift lever moved up to the dash about 1983. I thought production ended in 1986 when the the similar 187 was introduced, but it's reasonable that this 186 didn't sell new until a few years later.

At 14 hours it's worth at least as much as it was new. (If you advertise it to a national audience on Ebay and wait for the right buyer). Did he give you the original paperwork? If it came with a second set of tires he may have paid over $8k.

I wish I could find a YM186D that didn't look like it's in the second half of its life.

/ Our "new" 186D #6  
re using the clutch: I think they are designed for a full power clutchless shift *running in a rice paddy* where you have some tire slip. Dealers have posted here that doing this on asphalt can destroy parts.

I clutch, except for gentle shifts such as coasting downhill etc. Or rarely when it is imperative to maintain rolling inertia and clutching would stall the tractor. (My place is nearly all slopes, even the barn entrance).

It seems to me that a clutch disc is the cheapest thing to wear out and replace.

/ Our "new" 186D
Thanks for the info guys! He said he paid a lot more than 8,000.00 for it new. So by looking at the pictures would you say the condition is??? I have seen a few with a lot more hours go for what my dad paid for it. 5,000.00 for everything mentioned. Thoughts??

/ Our "new" 186D #8  
I back off the foot throttle & shift. I never use the clutch.

/ Our "new" 186D #9  
He said he paid a lot more than 8,000.00 for it new. .... 5,000.00 for everything mentioned. Thoughts??
You got it for a good private-party price. A dealer wouldn't have paid more but an ebay prospect might have, if the seller went to some effort to market it effectively.

That is a genuine classic. Baby it, park it indoors, and it will be worth what you paid for many years.

Silvertramp - I rarely use the foot throttle since this ground is so rough - that just makes me lurch. I do generally back off the hand throttle to catch the next gear at the right rpm.

/ Our "new" 186D #10  
Silvertramp - I rarely use the foot throttle since this ground is so rough - that just makes me lurch. I do generally back off the hand throttle to catch the next gear at the right rpm.[/QUOTE]

It's rough & tight here too. I use my foot because I'm rarely going the same speed for long. Different ways of going at similar situations I guess.