John Deere 850 tractor

/ John Deere 850 tractor #1  

ckennedy1601

Tractor
john Deere
I have a john deere 850 tractor with a three cylinder yanmar diesel motor. I just changed the oil and fuel filter. The tractor wouldnt start due to air in the fuel lines. I sprayed ether into the air cleaner to try and get it started. I then bled the lines and got it to start and run fine. The next morning i went out and checked the oil level before starting it. Diesel fuel came pouring out of the oil cap. What could have happened to cause this ??? Please help

/ John Deere 850 tractor #2  
No idea regarding the fuel in the oil, but I can definitely say I've read pretty much everywhere never to use ether in a diesel.

/ John Deere 850 tractor #3  
Stupid quiestion I guess, but is the "oil cap" where you check the oil or the cap on top where you fill with oil?

Don't guess it matters, diesel shouldn't be coming out of either. I'm thinking the only way diesel could flood your system that much with the tractor not running is to come through the injection pump and leak into the crankcase. I have never heard of this but lots of things I haven't heard of.

/ John Deere 850 tractor #4  
Yep! sounds like a broken injector pump. Did you loosen the fuel line to bleed the pump? Thats about the only way your going to get that much fuel in the block. I believe the 850 is the same pump as the YM2500. I'm sure Hoye has it.

/ John Deere 850 tractor
Yes i cracked the fuel lines that come from the pump to the injectors. How would i go about finding out if the pump is bad or if its just a seal that is letting fuel into the block?

/ John Deere 850 tractor #6  
I would call Hoye there be the one's to talk to. I used and am familiar with the 2500 but IMHO a seal or gasket is Very Doubtful thats why I would talk to Aaron or one of his Guys ;)

/ John Deere 850 tractor #7  
Obviously it is going to have something to do with the pump, so why not remove it and, with the fuel line still attached, see where the leak is happening? Then, at least, you will have something to go by and can work from there.

/ John Deere 850 tractor #8  
Be real careful if you remove it. Thats another reason why I suggested to talk to Hoye. There' s couple of linkage pins that are hard to get to and remove I believe. If you bend it or get it out of time it's a Royal PIT:ashamed: to get back right.

I was right Aaron made a reply on a 2500 .

The only time I have heard of a governor problem is
1- a hydraulic pump shaft broke & the end got caught in the governor - freak accident
2- a person tries to pry their injection pump off without unhooking the internal linkages & breaks/stretches them.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 850 tractor #9  
Did you crack them loose at the pump,or up at the injectors?

/ John Deere 850 tractor #10  
I had a John Deere 950 w/ loader a couple years back. The 950 is the next
model up a little more h.p., but the same concept.

You should have a Waring label on your tractor that states NEVER use EITHER.
These tractors are ruined quite often by owners using either.

Now the older John Deere's like the 820 were made to accept either. The same
820 I own started to get fuel into the oil. It turned out that the two seals
were bad on the injector pump, had them replaced and it was fine
Good luck.