Intermittent Starter

/ Intermittent Starter #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi, I am new to the group. I have a YM 186D. Sometimes, when turning the key to "start", I get the "click" sound from the solenoid. Battery and wires are all fine. After turning the key one or two more times, the starter fires right up. Sometimes, it will even start up on the first try. After reading several posts, I am focusing on the internal contacts of the solenoid. I want to inspect them and sand and clean the contact buss. The solenoid is located on top of the starter. I began by unscrewing the two screws at the opposite end of the solenoid terminals. (I did not remove the starter). Upon pulling the solenoid away from the bracket, I noticed a sort-of looped metal spring that was against a piece of steel that extended into the starter/flywheel. I pulled the spring away. First of all, how do I reassemble this correctly with the notch in the steel "piston", spring, and piece of steel that extends into the flywheel? Second, how do I access those contacts for cleaning? Thank you very much.

Marc markeyismarc@aol.com

/ Intermittent Starter
Sounds like you are on the right track with the starter and the solenoid. Solenoids often get dirty/fail. If the starter makes noise when you turn the key, but fails to turn, it's a problem with the starter, if the solenoid clicks, but the starter does nothing, it is the solenoid. I had a car once that did the same thing. I had to pop the hood, and whack the solenoid to get it to start.

/ Intermittent Starter
As far as getting the parts all back together properly, the best i can suggest is to carefully look at how they come apart. Getting to the contacts may not be possible. I have not taken the Yanmar starter apart but I have gutted many similar kinds. Most of the time the contacts are sealed in a hard plastic housing and your only hope is to try and spray some carb cleaner in there and blow with compressed air. Sometimes that will help. Good luck

/ Intermittent Starter #4  
Yhe "click" you hear is probably the solenoid pulling, starter just not turning. Most likely, points ok. Check/clean solenoid and starter brushes and make sure you have plenty of battery power, at least 12.6v. Sorry, can't help with reassembly without seeing it.

/ Intermittent Starter
I've taken to taking some digital pictures as I disassemble things. I also make marks on pieces that rotate so you get the alignment right. Digital pics are free once you have the camera. I always think reassembly will be obvious, but once I get there, it is less clear and the pictures are a big help.

Remember the mechanics shop poster

Labor: $30/hr
If you help $40/hr
If you worked on it first $60/hr

Doc

/ Intermittent Starter #6  
The flat on the spring simply goes against the lower part of the steel bar, then the two ends on the spring go into their respective holes in the solenoid.
You cannot get to the contacts inside.
I think your problem is that you need a Starter Relay. This was not standard equipment on the 186, but I have them available, it is cheaper than a solenoid and the best place to start.
Of course the brushes in the starter could be worn down and need replacing. I can provide you with whatever parts you need. thanks, Gary J.

/ Intermittent Starter
Thank you for all of your suggestions. Today, I reassembled the solenoid. Should there be a bearing/ball at the spring-end that goes against the end-housing cover and spring? In order to test the solenoid contacts, I disconnected the small solenoid wire. I jumped from the + battery terminal to the small solenoid terminal. This energized the solenoid and closed (hopefully) the contacts. With the solenoid energized, I proceeded to take a continuity reading across the two large terminals on the solinoid. (I did not disconnect the leads attached to those terminals. I did not think that would matter). The reading should total continuity! That would mean that the contacts are fine. I guess that my initial diagnosis (bad contacts) went out the window. With no power to the solenoid, that same test showed no continuity (as expected). I then proceeded to reconnect the solenoid wire and jump (with screwdriver)across the two large terminals on the solenoid in order to test the starter. Each and every time, the starter fired up. However, I do not understand why the starter engaged the flywheel and cranked the engine each time. The ignition key was off, thus not engaging the solenoid. In this test, shouldn't the starter have spun only itself and not the engine too? During this test, while cranking, sometimes it sounded normal, and at other times it sounded like a grinding sound. What's with that?

Marc

/ Intermittent Starter
I took the starter and solenoid to the shop. They cleaned and oiled the starter. Brushes were very good. Solenoid tested fine too. They had to correctly position the metal arm that attaches to the solenoid plunger. When I reassembled the solenoid, the metal arm end that goes down on the starter gear shaft was not seated properly on the coller. He told me that in order to seat this properly, that starter had to be disassembled so that he could see the proper position on the coller in which to locate the metal arm. I reinstalled everything and checked battery voltage. It was fine at 12.65V. While testing, the starter engaged every time. I counted at least 20 consecutive times of starter engagement. I thought everything was fine. Today, it went intermittent again. When I turn the key and the starter does NOT engage, I can ALWAYS hear the loud "click" of the solenoid. Therefore, the solenoid magnet is always functioning properly. Maybe the contacts are not properly closing all of the time due to pitting, etc. Unfortunately, I don't think that the contacts are accessible for inspection/cleaning. If I turn the key once or twice more, the starter will fire right up. This little problem is frustrating. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any more suggestions?

Marc

/ Intermittent Starter #9  
Did you or the shop actually remove the brushes and clean them and check spring tension? It still sound as if you have a sticking brush not making contact at times.

/ Intermittent Starter
<font color="blue">Maybe the contacts are not properly closing all of the time due to pitting, etc.</font>

Sounds like that's your problem exactly.

<font color="blue">I don't think that the contacts are accessible for inspection/cleaning.</font>

I'm not sure what it looks like but most of these can be disassembled. There is usually screws holding the cover on though sometimes they can be rivets or brads. If you can get it apart I'm betting you'll find pitting as you suspect. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Maybe you could take a photo of it and post it so we could see how it's assembled.