Oil & Fuel Unbelievable fuel economy

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #1  

hosejockey2002

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20 HST
I knew my 1401D got good fuel economy, but I never really knew how good until today. I filled it up after the last job I did, and today I did another job, 4 1/2 hours running time, loader and box scraper work, running mostly at 2400 rpm. I have another job coming up, so I wanted the tank full again. I stopped by to top it off, thinking it would take two or three gallons. When it was full I looked at the pump and I was shocked. Exactly ONE GALLON, in 4 1/2 hours of fairly hard running. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I honestly think my Stihl brush trimmer uses more fuel than that. Anyone have any actual fuel economy figures they care to share?

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #2  
hosejockey,
I was impressed the first time I used my YM1700. I still am impressed how long it runs on a tank of fuel. I really need to watch the new New Holland. It doesn't get nearly the fuel economy the Yanmar does.

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #3  
Most heavy equipment have gas tanks that are designed for 8-10 hours of operation. The bigger the tractor the bigger the tank. I guess you could guess fuel economy by looking at the tank size of similar tractors. Mostly diesel tractors have very good fuel efficiency compared to gasoline.

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #4  
Hi Jerry,

I don't know what the fuel consumption is on the NH TC18 nor the Yanmar... but I wouldn't be surprised if you use less than ~.3 g/hr. on the NH vs. the ~ .25 g/hr. on the Yanmar...

Was the Yanmar Direct Injection? (that will always give you an edge of 10-20%) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #5  
My 1610D fule consumption seems to be related to how hard it works. I can cut 2 acres 6 or 7 times with a finish mower before a fillup. It takes half a tank to cut 3 acres of 2 foot tall grass with the rotary mower.

Rich

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #6  
I too agree that how hard the tractor is working dictates how much fuel is being used. My trusty 2010D uses nearly 1/4 of a tank of diesel per hour when I groom my horse arena. I am at 2500 RPM at full-throttle in third gear, pulling a 5' Gannon box and the tractor is really working! However it will work for several days on the same fuel using light loader work.
I don't care how much fuel it uses, it is worth every drop.
Cameron

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #7  
I did the same thing. Took a 1401d on a driveway job. Removed 25 yards of hard packed gravel/dirt/clay. After 4 hours of hard loader/box scraper/ripper work, took exactly 1 1/4 gallons. Blew the guys away on the job. They laughed at first, when I showed up on the job with a "wimpy little toy", but they got a whole new education by the time I left. Sold a 1401d that day, too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #8  
JM III,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Was the Yanmar Direct Injection? )</font>

Don't really know the difference between direct and indirect.

Jerry

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #9  
Indirect injection has a pre chamber that the fuel is injected into. Combustion starts in the pre chamber. Direct injection does not have a pre chamber and the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. There is far more to it than that but that is the short story.

/ Unbelievable fuel economy #10  
Re: Unbelievable fuel economy-DI vs. IDI

Hi Jerry,

Most of the smaller Yanmars diesels are IDI, and the larger units DI…

You can tell very quickly… if the diesel has GLOWPLUGS… it’s Indirect

DI don’t use Glowplugs, but can use a heating element in the intake for faster starts in colder weather…

Here’s some tech info on the differences:

Direct vs. Indirect Diesels…