ALMOST Stuck in the Mud

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
Some darn fool :D thought he could compact the backfill after removing a stump, just by driving across it.

That worked fine last summer when the ground was dry ....

This time I sank like I drove off the end of a pier.

It took 20 minutes of setting and un-curling the backhoe bucket to inch the rig forward to where it could catch some traction. The diff lock didn't help. As a last resort I could have taken the forks off the loader and used its curl at the same time to drag the thing out. (4x4 wouldn't have helped since there was no weight on the opposite front tire).

P1360233rDigStump.jpg

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud #2  
Some darn fool :D thought he could compact the backfill after removing a stump, just by driving across it.

That worked fine last summer when the ground was dry ....

This time I sank like I drove off the end of a pier.

It took 20 minutes of setting and un-curling the backhoe bucket to inch the rig forward to where it could catch some traction. The diff lock didn't help. As a last resort I could have taken the forks off the loader and used its curl at the same time to drag the thing out. (4x4 wouldn't have helped since there was no weight on the opposite front tire).

View attachment 296878

Great photo! And nice set up too. That looks like a rugged worker. I am not too familiar with those YM models, I assume that is your YM240? What backhoe is on it? Looks like a 9 foot?

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud #3  
I have been clearing my building site and removed about 60 trees some 100-120 ft oaks and hickory and this past Sunday afternoon I found myself IN DEEP ! a few times working some of the smaller stumps with my JD 855 and had to use the bucket more than once to get out !, Today I plan on getting serious with a 941-b track loader on the larger stumps and start digging for the foundation . Looks like your Yanmar did a good job getting that stump out !:cool2:

037.jpg

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud #4  
Its a great feeling when the tires finally get traction... :)

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud #5  
I desided it's best to postpone some seat time on the 5103 for the exact same reason. Wet and muddy. Just need fill in and grade were a water line to the Well was broken and repaired. Hopefully I can get to it next week. I've came real close to sticking it in mud a few times. :rolleyes:

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud #6  
Stuck is when you have to walk away and get help. If you ended up driving away, you were delayed, not stuck.

Bruce

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud #7  
Nice least it was where you could fix the dirt afterwards! btdt :laughing:

I wish I had a pic of the time I decided I would mow the 5' deep steep shouldered county owned ditch in front of my house (that they never mow) with my tractor and 5' bush hog after a few beers. yeah I was stuck awhile too and I messed the ditch up pretty bad & wife was not happy with me. :D

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud
Great photo! And nice set up too. That looks like a rugged worker. I am not too familiar with those YM models, I assume that is your YM240? What backhoe is on it? Looks like a 9 foot?
Thanks! Yes, YM240, and rugged. About 1981. I like to think this was the model that spooked Deere into contracting Yanmar to build Deere's compacts. This seems to be indestructible; it hasn't needed anything beyond maintenance and replacing torn-off loader hoses etc that were my own user abuse, in the nine years I've owned it.

The backhoe is a US model that was labelled by Yanmar-USA as YBH-600, and by Kubota as K650. I wish it were 9 ft! The spec sheet says 6' 4" maximum depth. It's a 3-point mount so I think anything larger would risk damage to the tractor.

One more stump to go! Its on more of a slope so hopefully the ground is drained better than here.

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud #9  
I didn't see your carry-all in the pic. Did you lose your golf bag?

/ ALMOST Stuck in the Mud
I didn't see your carry-all in the pic. Did you lose your golf bag?
Hiya!

The golf bags in my sig photo are still on there. The shovel that's always in the back bag was essential for this episode.

The front bag for my tow chains is a little hard to see so here's a better picture from when I first installed it.

Back platform? I use it mostly on the little tractor. Here's an old picture. And here's the last time I used it - harvesting a family Persimmon tree in November.

How's your YM240D working? I wish my 240 had 4wd!

View attachment 297127