Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Lots of Yanmars

Default Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850

Guys, I need help! Attached are pics of a broken rear shaft off a Yanmar Fx 26d. I took it to a machine shop, they said it couldn't be fixed.(I failed to ask them if they could just build one. I'll do that tomorrow.) But , in the mean time, if anyone has suggestions I would more than appreciate the help. I'm waiting on one more call but it is doubtful. There is one company that has this used part, but it will cost $1850. I told our customer that I would try one last place and that is here. HELP!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -get-attachment4-jpg   -get-attachment3-jpg   -get-attachment2-jpg   -get-attachment-jpg  
    Last edited by swmillbrook; 12-30-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: nnn

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Default Re: Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850

Wow, that is pretty much the whole power shift unit. Believing the two shaft pieces are suppose to be one it is mysterious just how they went together there? Just my curiosity. Any hint on what caused it to break?

Are they charging 1850 just for the shaft or for the whole assembly? Either way, I think a used shaft or assembly is going to be your only hope. That is a complicated piece of machine work. Without a print I am doubtful anyone would undertake machining one. Also wonder if there is heat treating on any of it? Very possible this gentleman Sheaffer's Town & Country Tractor could get the shaft but I would expect the price to be high. If your not in a big hurry you might get with him. Seems sometimes it takes a good while just to get a quote response from Japan.

Not offered much help but please keep us informed of your progress and thanks for the pictures. Any welcome to the forum.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Default Re: Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850

Have you tried fredricks ? He may not have the part but, may be able to point you to someone that does
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    Lots of Yanmars

Fredricks is HIGH. But I guess you gotta do what ya GOTTA do.

Tractor
    Lots of Yanmars

Could Abuse be the problem of the break? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Whats your opinion?

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Well. I don't know about abuse... looking where it broke, (in the pic) it doesn't appear to be much metal in the area of the break. I would have though that the shaft would have been solid in that area. If not solid, at least more metal than what it has. I would imagine ,there are a lot of forces applied to that small area at times... Looks like a weak design to me. Other opinions will probably vary
    Yanmar 3110D
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Do you operate the pto with an over run clutch? If not, I believe that could be a partial cause, especially if you shift the powershift without clutching and at high rpm. Part of this comes from an experienced tractor Ernie and part from a smigin of operating and experimenting with an FX24D that had a sheared ring gear bolts.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Winston, Is it just me or do you think the shaft should have been a little more robust in that area. Look at the small amount of area that broke off.
    Yanmar 3110D
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak

Elite Member

If you have tried the usual suspects, WKYT, and Southern Global, to no avail, I am guessing your customer now has a parts tractor. That does look like a weak point, but I suspect it took some serious abuse to break it.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    Winston, Is it just me or do you think the shaft should have been a little more robust in that area. Look at the small amount of area that broke off.
    It does look a little weak there. Maybe the pictures are decieving?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast