YM2000 Brake Help...Again

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again #11  
The top pin that the shoes rest on is not designed to be turned how I see it. The shaft has flat sides on the opposing sides if you turn it 90 degrees but the surface they rest on is not near as large as the way its designed to be inserted. that and mine is stuck and I will have to get it back in a vice and possibly heat and beat to get it out.

Any suggestions, I measured my drum and its right in the middle of the spec in diameter so its not worn out or turned down to far.
If that anchor pin isn't near square then I wonder if the wrong pin was put in there by someone. It should be slightly wider in one direction.

Here's a trick I discovered on an old car when I opened it up: Someone had welded additional metal on each end of the brake linings to make them expand farther. Then ground and polished the weld blobs so they wouldn't gouge the cams. If your shoes are near the wear limit this might give you a few more years.

Something else that might work: cut more threads on the adjusting rods if they don't already bottom out.

But I think new brake shoes and likely anchor pins are what's needed to do this right. It sounds like you have reached what Yanmar designed as the wear limit.

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again #12  
I have a YM2001 and mine does not have the adjustable square pin. Mine is round also. One of my brakes got rusted tight and wore itself down by the PO. After I got it apart and the cam greased, I bent a flat piece of metal over the pin to space out the pads on that side. It worked for me.

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again
You still need to swap the cam and pin side-to-side.

I don't see why it wont work either, but the sides are not equal on it. it will push the shoes out farther but the mating surface of the pin and the shoes is smaller on that other side. wont effect anything as its just a spot to rest them on.

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again #14  
looks as if you have a good amount of material left on the shoes... I had mine re lined a while back, and couldn't tell any difference in the new ,and old..If I remember right,, there is only about 1/8 material on the shoe when new

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again
Aaron says there is about 1/4" on the shoes he sells new.

California , the pin has 4 flat sides it's just that 2 sides are larger than the other 2. So like one side the shoes rest on is like a 1" surface and the other side is like 3/4" or 3/5" all sides are flat though.

To get the pin free I loosed the nut and screwed it back on to protect the threads and I beat it out with a block of wood and a deadblow. There was no O ring in there it had like a glue or silicone seaLing it in there. So I cleaned that up with a wire wheel and pulled out the original kit and found one to fit and turned it 90ーand tightenEd it down. Problem was holding the pin right as it wanted to turn even with a wrench on the brake mount surface. Anyway I got it. If I was smart I'd of put the brakes on and tightened it on when it was on tractor. But I got it done.

So I put it back togeather and I have plenty of adjustment and petal travel matches the other side. I hate I ground so much material off when I adjusted it that time after getting it unstuck. But you live n learn. Should still be plenty left for years to come. The tops of the pads still had factory groves like cut into them, like x's

Attachments

• 20160803_190017.jpg
    20160803_190017.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 115