Powershift

/ Powershift #1  

Jtullis13

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2210D & YM 155D
I know I have started a few threads recently, but I am new to TBN, been here since February this year. I do a lot of research before I post, but I am always eager to get someone else's perspective too. So here it goes. I have ym2210d and love it. As in my other threads I've started I'm going to get another tractor for my aging parents to use at their acreage. My question is how many of you here on TBN have ever had a Poweshift problem, minor or major? I currently don't have any issues with mine. I am considering another 2210d or the 2000d. I hurt don't want to run into any problems with the Powershift that will cost me in the long run. So any known issues from anyone out there? Thanks

/ Powershift #2  
I have a YM14 with power shift and it's been faultless. I just wish my 1500 had it too! :(

/ Powershift #3  
What I've seen reading this forum since 2003: The general consensus is that Powershift is bulletproof. Almost no problems reported.

I recall a couple of cases where flushing dirty fluid and filters was needed to restore proper function.

Also a couple of cases where a pressure relief spring broke. Inexpensive, easily accessible, but hard to diagnose until a dealer posted describing what was wrong and what it needed.

And I think one case where the driveshaft from the clutch back to the transmission got stripped, I suspect by shifting the PS at full throttle on pavement.

A couple of owners have asked if a gear whine is normal, but not related to any problem.

And that's it. I don't recall a single other description of a problem in 13 years.

I usually use the clutch to soften a shift under heavy load, to reduce stresses, but this may be unnecessary.

/ Powershift #5  
I bought my 186D several years ago. The fluid was milky color due to a bad fill cap leak......water got inside. I drained the fluid and filters...cleaned the screen, replaced the fill cap and have used that little tractor a lot. The powershift works great.......no problems.

/ Powershift #6  
I bought my 186D several years ago. The fluid was milky color due to a bad fill cap leak......water got inside. I drained the fluid and filters...cleaned the screen, replaced the fill cap and have used that little tractor a lot. The powershift works great.......no problems.

I have a 336d. Had it 25 plus years, never a problem with the unit.

/ Powershift
Thanks to everyone who has posted here! I appreciate all the comments and extra links about the Powershift

/ Powershift #9  
Other than keeping clean fluid and filter/strainer clean, as mentioned before, broken pressure relief springs seems to be the only problem. If guys would check them first for loss-of-drive condition, would almost be a non-issue, as are easily accessible on all models. If I had one I would just order a set of springs to keep on hand.

/ Powershift #10  
Yep now I remember the 2 broken springs in the Volvo body or somewhere or something. But most issues were a clogged filter or screen and very dirty and or milky fluid That seems to fix most all issues.

If I were to buy one esp from Frederics and have it sit up for weeks or months I would not worry much. We would hear about bad ones on this forum so I don't think there many, and abuse or neglect is most issues I suspect. If you buy it run it hard for a few months to see if any bugs will show up then I would not worry. It's a proven design.

All that sad so are gear trannies. They work and can sit for decades and without moisture in them work again fine. But for things like snow removal where you may go foward and back frequently to clear a drive or turn around or something that fwd/rev lever would be a nice function to have.