Drawbar

/ Drawbar #1  

razorback98

Tractor
yanmar 1510d
I see comments concerning using a 3pt drawbar as a tow hitch. A comment has been made that the three point can raise up and cause problems. Can't you lock the 3 pt down with the adustment under the seat? (1510D).

Thanks

/ Drawbar #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can't you lock the 3 pt down with the adustment under the seat? )</font> No.
You can lock the hydraulics so the 3 point won't LIFT hydraulically, but it is free-floating, NOT locked down, so if the item being pulled hangs up and the angle of pull is such that the 3 pt would be raised above the axle, that is what will happen. It is important to understand that the tractor can turn ITSELF OVER, if there is resistance applied above the rear axle. The gearing in a tractor is awesome....and when there is resistance above the axle so the wheels can't rotate forward, the tractor frame can rotate backwards...resulting in rear rollover.

This is far less likely when the point where the resisting force is applied is below the axle. We quit selling three point drawbars many, many years ago once I understood this. I know many people get away with using them often, but they truly are an accident waiting to happen.

/ Drawbar #3  
By installing a rigid link from the the top link connection to the drawbar pins you can use the 3pt drawbar. By adding a antirotation clip to the drawbar you can pull with a trailer ball.

/ Drawbar #4  
Our 1510D has 3 bolts on the bottom of the transmission case. I got a long (2"x2"x12") hitch extension, longer bolts and drilled the proper holes - voila' drawbar with 2" ball.

cvt

/ Drawbar #5  
I've got to side with LMTC and say that as a rule, you never want to pull from above the centerline of your rear axle. I do it within reason, but you are at risk of rolling your tractor over backward, potentially killing yourself, or worse ! If your tractor has a factory drawbar below the rear axle, as mine does, always use this if possible. That being said.... if you have a hitch mounted to your 3ph, use your head ,but not as a form of pollover protection !!!!

/ Drawbar #6  
Norm's right on. TSC and other places sell 'stay' bars that run from the toplink connection tot he drawbar to keep it down. That and a toplink a-frame or drawbar lock then make the 3pt drawbar suitable for towing a trailer with a ball-setup.

Soundguy

/ Drawbar #7  
I don't disagree but my point would be: by the time you go through what is necessary to make this operation as safe as possible one could address a permanent drawbar under the frame. I don't think I've seen a Yanmar yet that didn't have the capability, though sometimes the bar or the mount is missing.

/ Drawbar #8  
The advantage of using a 3pt drawbar is a tighter turning radius as opposed to using the drawbar supplied with the tractor the turning radius isgreatly increased because the stabilizer bars on most trailers hit the rear tires. Also the height of the bar can be raised a little. It should still be kept below the level of the axles. One should note that with the 3pt drawbar toung weight is an issue.

/ Drawbar #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( by the time you go through what is necessary to make this operation as safe as possible one could address a permanent drawbar under the frame. )</font>

A swinging drawbar generally has less toungue weight limits than a 3pt drawbar.. which would by default be able to have as much tounge weight as the 3pt lift is rated for. Thus, you might be able to carry/pull a trailer load on the 3pt without damamging the tractor that, if onthe swinging drawbar, might rip the bottom of the diffy out if you hit a bump.. etc. I've senet his with other tractors big time. For instance.. My big NH 7610s is rated only for about 2000# at best on the swinging drawbar, in it's closeest position.. yet my 3pt lift can handle twice that almost..

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't think I've seen a Yanmar yet that didn't have the capability )</font>

ym1700?

Soundguy

/ Drawbar #10  
ym1700?

Soundguy )</font>

Mine has one but, it does not extend past the lower lift arms so the trailer hits the wheel if you turn very sharp