How to spot a Viet recon tractor?

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #21  
I have been wondering about a theory. Lets use the YM2000 for an example. They were made approximately from 1976-1978 plus or minus a year. Now there were only so many manufactured in Japan. Yanmar greys started getting popular and the import business was good and the creme of the crop was imported. Now we are actually starting to "run out" of the real good tractors. We are down to the bottom of the barrel so to speak and now we have the Viet Recon business putting tractors together that probably wouldnt sell as it. Any thoughts on this from the gallery???? Just thinkin.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #22  
I think they have been reconning for along time. With cheap or "free" labor it has been cost effective for them to rebuild the rougher tractors for along time. It is possible that the mix match of parts etc. may get to be more of a problem. It seems to me that alot of us have good units that are VN recons but I don't rule out that there are some clunkers. I just know I like mine. If I would have found a cherry used unit I prob would have got one. If you find an old corvette, it is worth something even if it has been rebuilt. If the rebuild was a good job it is worth more. If you find one that is all original and so cherry it does not even need rebuilding then u have the top dollar corvette. It is about like that here. I have seen newly painted tractors with those "stars" on them and they seem alot rougher than mine. All the used units I ever see seem to be rough. A guy up the road from me has a fairly cherry 2310d. I like his unit. I would have bought it too..... I see alot more of the F series tractors on dealer web sites now and not so many 2210's or 1610's. etc....

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #23  
phatgemi said:
I have been wondering about a theory. Lets use the YM2000 for an example. They were made approximately from 1976-1978 plus or minus a year. Now there were only so many manufactured in Japan. Yanmar greys started getting popular and the import business was good and the creme of the crop was imported. Now we are actually starting to "run out" of the real good tractors. We are down to the bottom of the barrel so to speak and now we have the Viet Recon business putting tractors together that probably wouldnt sell as it. Any thoughts on this from the gallery???? Just thinkin.

I don't know about Yanmars specifically, but I know business.

You have a product that has successfully produced a solid economical base when it was first run Japan-made. Now, long-lasting and tractors are not indigenous to Yanmar. Heck Ford produced over 500,000 8N tractors and if I had to guess probably 75%+ are still around and these were flat 4-gasoline tractors! I think the great niche for Yanmar was the size coupled with a stout diesel engine. I don't know about running-out vs. the tremendously increased labor costs in Japan since the original run in the 70s. Back then, you could afford to rely on their "Kaizen" techniques, traditional work ethics & economic labor to produce a superior product at a great margin. Now, that is all changed.....big time! Vietnam and other relatively still uncivilized and modernized locales, can fill the need to refurbished these products at a economic scale suitable to mitigate the investment of the labor and still turn a profit even including the VAT/FOB additions. I would imagine that while not having the same Japanese QA/QC plant tolerances or testing criteria, I would imagine the Vietnam standards result in above average products back to the market.

I think that is the real reason you see Vietnam reconditioned. It is not
anti-Japanese or American, just pro profitability. As far as bottom of the barrel or "running out", I don't know the statistics, as I don't know how many were produced during the initial run. Frome everything I have read, I have been impressed with Yanmar and their products, so a little outsourcing to increase the bottom-line is not unusual, is it? ;-)

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #24  
Brent,

The answer to your question is SATISFACTION.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #25  
Let's for a moment put aside the word "Yanmar" and the fact they are being routed via "Vietnam" on their way to the USA. My thought is we should concentrate on truthfulness. For most people, "factory reconditioned" means something, whether we are talking computers, kitchen appliances, cameras or tractors. Most tractor companies that sell recons imply that they are fully rebuilt, down to the last nut and bolt. Then we find that this simply is not true. If they would advertise that the units are cosmetically refurbished and then tested and repaired as per certain criteria, we would have honesty. But we often find otherwise. That is the real issue in my mind.

But the implication, and it is purposeful, that they are as good as new falls on it's face when we see old hoses, non-cleaned radiators, etc. These are basic items. What else is wrong or rather not ever refurbished down inside the engine or trans?

This is not to say they are all bad. Clearly there are a number of very satisfied customers that have good tractors. Just my $0.02 worth.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #26  
Jagmandave said:
Travis buddy, I think you've made your point................

Well, I don't think I have......

If I was putting down on Vietnam tractors, and my/any dealer that sells them, everybody on here thats against them would absolutely LOVE for me to just keep on truckin' with it.......BUT, since I am 'PRO' the 'reconditioned' tractors, no one wants to hear that do they?

Yes, I can say that I am for Vietnam tractors in a way........BUT, I guess what I really mean is that I am 'pro' RCO tractor, which deals with Vietnam tractors.............RCO Tractor buys their tractors, that they select, from a reconditioner in Vietnam...........Then, they bring them to their shop and do MORE work/testing to all of them..........In other words, RCO goes behind the Vietnamese to do more tests and/or repairs, or 'catch' what the Vietnamese missed......AND I THINK THAT IS WONDERFUL........That is why I would buy from RCO tractor again....Because of what they do to their tractors and because they back their customers.

With that said, Would I buy DIRECTLY from a Vietnamese reconditioner? NO

So, if no one wants to read what I have to say, then don't.............When you see my name in a thread with a post underneath it, just simply scroll on down to the next name and read what they gotta say....Its a very simple process.

BUT, when I feel the need to reply or "express my feelings", I will do so WHENEVER I PLEASE and won't loose ANY sleep over doing it either.

You see, we all need to remember something here.......Has anyone noticed how many "Guests" view Tractor By Net?...........There is a whole lot........They read what we all have to say.......Thats why, along with other reasons, I believe some of the dealers on here choose not to reply on different threads. BUT, people need to know the story on both sides of the coin.

Have a nice day,

Travis R

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #27  
Did RCO catch what VN missed?

Eugene

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #28  
Travis_R said:
Well, I don't think I have......

If I was putting down on Vietnam tractors, and my/any dealer that sells them, everybody on here thats against them would absolutely LOVE for me to just keep on truckin' with it.......BUT, since I am 'PRO' the 'reconditioned' tractors, no one wants to hear that do they?

Yes, I can say that I am for Vietnam tractors in a way........BUT, I guess what I really mean is that I am 'pro' RCO tractor, which deals with Vietnam tractors.............RCO Tractor buys their tractors, that they select, from a reconditioner in Vietnam...........Then, they bring them to their shop and do MORE work/testing to all of them..........In other words, RCO goes behind the Vietnamese to do more tests and/or repairs, or 'catch' what the Vietnamese missed......AND I THINK THAT IS WONDERFUL........That is why I would buy from RCO tractor again....Because of what they do to their tractors and because they back their customers.

With that said, Would I buy DIRECTLY from a Vietnamese reconditioner? NO

So, if no one wants to read what I have to say, then don't.............When you see my name in a thread with a post underneath it, just simply scroll on down to the next name and read what they gotta say....Its a very simple process.

BUT, when I feel the need to reply or "express my feelings", I will do so WHENEVER I PLEASE and won't loose ANY sleep over doing it either.

You see, we all need to remember something here.......Has anyone noticed how many "Guests" view Tractor By Net?...........There is a whole lot........They read what we all have to say.......Thats why, along with other reasons, I believe some of the dealers on here choose not to reply on different threads. BUT, people need to know the story on both sides of the coin.

Have a nice day,

Travis R
We...................are..................all.............glad....................you............like.............your.............tractor. Hope you............................like...................it..........as much......................a.............year....................from.....................now. ;)

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #29  
:p :p :p :p :p

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #30  
Travis,

I'm getting mixed signals here. Beginning with your repeated requests for help and most everyone responding during your time of anguish, I don't recall anyone name calling or bad-mouthing the company you bought from. It seems obvious to me that while you were out of contact from the company where you purchased, everyone did their level best to assist you diagnosing the overheating problem. And you were quite sensitive about the purchase, problems, perhaps buyers remorse and defending your dealer.

You are now being insensitive.... dismissing members, suppliers and dealers opinions, their time and effort in responding and the years of experience they shared with you.

Those same years of experience (that you don't have) tell many of us, that tractors from Vietnam are not "Factory Reconditioned". Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't. I rarely agree with anyone completely...but Dave (DavesTractor) just said it all.

Mark