How to spot a Viet recon tractor?

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #61  
buppy69 said:
I have his stocklist. The biggest Yanmar he has is a 2310D. He doesn't ship.

Eugene

buppy69,

Thank you.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #62  
Tractors4u said:
Did the tank appear to be painted black or was it black plastic. I have seen many of the original clear/opaque tanks tarnished from years of fuel sitting them. They appear black or brown.

It appeared to be painted, all I know for sure is that it leaked. I threw it out or I would check it again.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #63  
California said:
Sounds like you got a keeper!

I wonder now if that black tank was OEM on those models. I still think if you can see your reflection in a shiny black tank, it's been refurbished somewhere.

All the paint on this tractor is dried & crispy, nothing is shiny, even under the hood. No dents though, someday I might get the sheet metal dipped and paint it.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #64  
YM1500D DUDE ,
You would be surprised how well that old red paint will clean up. Go over it with some light rubbing compound followed by a good cleaner wax like Meguires. Also a 50-50 mix of kerosene and Westleys Whitewall Cleaner will clean up the frame and engine compartment and leave those belts and hoses looking new.

Bruce

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #65  
I wish I could rub it out but when I say crispy, I mean crispy. Think about a cracked surface of a dry lake bed and you will be close, that Sacramento sun is brutal. The cool thing is that it runs perfect and does not leak a drop.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #66  
YM1500D DUDE said:
I wish I could rub it out but when I say crispy, I mean crispy. Think about a cracked surface of a dry lake bed and you will be close, that Sacramento sun is brutal. The cool thing is that it runs perfect and does not leak a drop.

That has to be a re-paint job, Yanmar paint doesn't do that. Maybe someone coated it with clear lacquer in the past.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #67  
This Yanmar green paint had 20-some years in that same Sacramento sun. (I bought it south of West Sacramento in 2003).

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...theft-prevention-tractor-575542-dscn4523r.jpg

There's no peel, and if it were rubbed out it would probably look decent. (the paint, not the dings!)

The peeling 240 hood decals are irreplaceable or I would have replaced them by now.

Since that old photo (taken to show rudimentary theft/vandalism resistance) I have replaced the seat and that ratty down-pressure hose on the loader.

Last edited:
   / How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #68  
You've had to chain the steering wheel down to deter thugs from making off with the tractor? That's incredible... Glad I don't have to go there.... (yet..)...

And, California, you've got the best looking yanmar amoung the crowd! :D

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #69  
Nobody will steal it! Who would want it?

I have a tiny granny cabin and rent it to college students (so the cabin will be vacant in the summer for my own guests to come up and visit). That chain is to deter some idiot drunk or stoner guest of a tenant from midnight joyriding. "Whee!!! Watch this!!!":D It's better to simply prevent the opportunity.