Kawasaki Bayou 300 with no power

/ Kawasaki Bayou 300 with no power #1  

Tanberry

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC33DA
I have a 2001 KLF300 Bayou 4x4 . It has been an outstanding performer over the years dragging deer out of the woods and pulling a utility trailer around . Over the last year or so it's lost power . I really have to give it a lot of throttle to get it to start moving in forward or reverse once I get going it
feels like I'm in to high a gear . It's a 10 speed with a automatic centrifugal clutch . I guess I'll take to the Kawasaki dealer but thought I would check if anyone had an Idea if there some ajustment or somthing . I may even trade it on a new one ha . Thanks
Matt

/ Kawasaki Bayou 300 with no power #2  
Tanberry said:
I have a 2001 KLF300 Bayou 4x4 . It has been an outstanding performer over the years dragging deer out of the woods and pulling a utility trailer around . Over the last year or so it's lost power . I really have to give it a lot of throttle to get it to start moving in forward or reverse once I get going it
feels like I'm in to high a gear . It's a 10 speed with a automatic centrifugal clutch . I guess I'll take to the Kawasaki dealer but thought I would check if anyone had an Idea if there some ajustment or somthing . I may even trade it on a new one ha . Thanks
Matt

does it smoke?? you could look into a bore job and go one or two over and that would give you some more power and it would probably bring it up to a 350 range and it doesn't cost that much to do it .

/ Kawasaki Bayou 300 with no power #3  
Sounds like the clutch is slipping. There is an easy adjustment that should be in the owners manual. Have you been using Kawasaki oil? I used regular oil once in the 300 I had 10 years ago and it made the clutch slip. JC

/ Kawasaki Bayou 300 with no power
I will try and adjust the clutch. I have a manual but I didn't see it in there. It doesn't smoke and I've only used penzoil since it was new . Thanks
Matt

/ Kawasaki Bayou 300 with no power #5  
I never believe eveything a saleman says, but when I bought my bayou 300, he said to only use kawasaki oil because regular oil would make the clutch slip. I used his oil for 3 years with no problem, but I went with regular motor oil after that. Not long after that the clutch started slipping. I sold it after not long after that to buy a bigger atv. JC

/ Kawasaki Bayou 300 with no power #6  
Have you ever replaced the belt? Sounds like the belt is slipping