8n Ford need tuneup

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #1  
I just bought my dad's old 8n Ford and need some help to get it running.I need new spark plugs ,points and all that stuff. Is there a kit available for that and where?? I also need to change the transmission oil as it looks sorta crappy. What kind of oil do I need. Will the Hy-tran oil work? I would appreciate any advise. Thanks

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #2  
You need to tell us if it is a front or side mount distribuitor engine.. Hint.. front mount engine has a cap with 4 wires and uses a square coil that sets on the top of the distrib.. takes 15 minutes to remove the 2 bolts holding the distrib tot he block, remove it, change points and cap and condensor and rotor, and replace.. and that includes the beverage of choice. Side mount or angle mount distrib is the conventional 5 wire and uses a round coil on the side of the engine.

TSC sells a tune up kit for either that has a cap, condensor, rotor, and points, and single use feeler gauge for the points, as well as 4 spark plugs.

OEM plug/range was a champion H10.. most N owners prefer a range hotter and use H12.. or more preferable, an autolite 437

Spark plugs gap at .025

Points on the front mount gap at .015
points on the side mount gap at .025

Tranny shares the sump with the hyds and diffy.

takes about 5g. Remove the lowest bolt in the round cover with the dipstick.. add trans oil till it dribbles from there.

Original oil spec was 90wt mineral oil.

Napa carries 90wt gl-1 oil in a 5g pail as part number 65-205

You can use pretty much any 90wt gl1-gl3 oil.. Tractor supply sells an oil marked for fords 1939-1952.. that will work fine.

CNH reccomends a UTF oil meeting M2C134D... ( just about any UTF.. even walmart UTF, meets that spec ).

An 80w90 gear oil in the gl4/gl5 range that is specifically marked to be yellow metal safe.. or safe for bronze / copepr alloys would be ok.

If you live in arctic weather.. the 90 wt oils will be sluggish till they warm up... In real hot areas, if you have a leaky lift.. the uTF oils will perform worse... take your pic.

Here's some crossover info:

Front Mount distributor...
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD-6769X (Premium)
Condensor:
NAPA #FA200
Standard Ignition #FD-71
Rotor:
NAPA #FA300
Standard Ignition #FD-104
Distributor Cap:
NAPA #FA350
Standard Ignition #FD-126
Here's the information for the 8N side-mount distributor parts:
Side-Mount Distributor:
NAPA HEAVY DUTY PIERCED (ventilated) #CS753
Standard Ignition #FD-8081
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD-8081X (Premium)
Condensor:
NAPA #FA66
Standard Ignition #FD-75
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD75X (Premium)
Rotor:
NAPA #FA67
Standard Ignition #FD-108
Distributor Cap:
NAPA #FA352
Standard Ignition #FD-128

FIRE ORDER is 1-2-4-3.. pay close attention to that if you have a front mount coil/cap.. it can get confusing.. and #1 is at the radiator.

tractor was OEM 6v positive ground.

Let me know if there is any other info or help you need.

Soundguy

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #3  
Hey Soundguy,
This is great info ,but which number is the Napa coil number for a front mount distributor ? Thanks Frenchie

/ 8n Ford need tuneup
Thanks for the great info. I will go to the local NAPA store tonight and get what I need. Thanks

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #5  
frenchie4x4 said:
Hey Soundguy,
This is great info ,but which number is the Napa coil number for a front mount distributor ? Thanks Frenchie

I don't have the 6v square napa front mount coil number.. but it -IS- listed in their AG application book. If you get a lazy counterperson that says it isn't, then ask for a manager.. if the manager is equally lazy ( or stupid? ), march out and get online and lookup the regional manager for that napa area and send them a polite 3 page letter telling them how bad of service you got. I've found this usually does WONDERS for service when you go back in to get the part they said they didn't have, yet IS printed in their AG application book.

Soundguy

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #6  
Thanks soundguy, I will check in at Napa. I have to stop in there anyway they are redoing some GM 4.3 heads in the machine shop for a motor I'm working on. (sigh) The work never stops.
Thanks again I appriciate the info. Frenchie.

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #7  
Geese SoundGuy! You're an animal!! :p

I've never thought about how my little front mount square coil deals
with my 12V set-up. It just came that way when i bought it.
There must be a resistor somewhere.

I just printed off all that data a put it in my 8N manual!! :D

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #8  
Fords are kinda my.. uh.. fetish? So I try to stay up on their info.. some of it anyway..

soundguy

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #9  
I'd say that's right! ;)

/ 8n Ford need tuneup #10  
good luck on the unit.

soundguy