Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55

/ Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55 #1  

jmauss

I have been looking for an 8n for a while, and in the process of doing so I came across an Oliver Super 55 that I really liked. Unfortunately, it sold before I could buy it. Now I am fixated on the idea of more horsepower and a tractor that is not quite as common as the Ford n.

I understand that a Super 55 and a 550 are very similar, but how does an Oliver 55 compare to those two? Or, are a Super 55 and a 55 the same thing?

I am in eastern Iowa, and if anyone has an Oliver Super 55 for sale I would be interested. Thanks.

/ Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55 #2  
The Oliver 55 and 550 are similiar however the 550 being a newer model has improvements over the 55. The 55 was manufactured from 1954-1958. The 55 had a 144 cu. in. engine producing 30.75 drawbar hp. The 550 had a production run from 1958-1975 and had several improvements over the 55. The engine was increased to 155 cu. in. with a horse power rating over 40 hp. The hydraulics were improved on the 550. My family farmed with Olivers and owned both the 55 and 550. I have a 550 now and use it to rake hay etc. I wouldn't trade my 550 for two 8N's. Both these Olivers were tough little tractors with the advantage of independent pto, six speed transmission and over head valve engine. Some will say that parts are harder to find than the Fords but this shouldn't keep you from buying. Most AGCO dealers can readily get parts and there are other independent sources for parts. My Dad ran Oliver equipment from the mid-forties until he retired in the eighties and this was some of the most trouble free equipment.

/ Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55 #3  
There was no Oliver 55. It was just the Super 55, which, as Professor stated, was replaced by the 550. Both were available in either gas or diesel. They were far better tractors that the 8N, I restored a Super 55 Diesel a few years ago and had no problems getting parts for it, but some of the sheet metal was expensive. Gauges, wiring, and many uncommon parts are still available from multiple sources. You would be well advised to join the Hart Parr Oliver's Collectors Association, their magazine is lists great tips, hints and parts suppliers. If you think you'd be happy with an 8N, then you'll be happier with a Super 55 or 550.

/ Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55 #4  
There is a local company here in PA who specializes in Oliver parts. The company is Farmersville Equipment in Ephrata, PA. One of my co-workers used to work there. His job was to disassemble all sorts of Oliver tractors for parts.

/ Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55
Thanks. Hopefully this week I will become an Oliver owner for the first time. I am going to look at a Super 55 that is supposedly in good working order. I have an idea of the value of this model, from price guides and looking at the results of past sales.

My question is what else should I look for, other than the obvious (tires, PTO, 3 pt hitch, etc.)? Is there anything to especially watch out for with the Super 55? Parts that are either very hard to find or problems that are very expensive to fix?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Joe

/ Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55 #6  
Look for the regular things that you would look for in buying an older used tractor such as excessive oil leakes, water in engine oil. no excessive play in steering etc. plus with the 55 make sure the pto lever snaps in and out(if it doesn't the pto discs may need adjusting or replacing) smooth lifting 3 pt. arms. If you can run the tractor with a pto driven 3 pt implement to see how it operates.
Bob is right that there is no 55 just the Super 55, however, there were a few experimental utility tractors produced in 1952. These used the model 60 transmission and a clutch pto. If this design had been approved by Oliver execs. they probably would have been designated 55.

/ Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55 #7  
Any Oliver is better than no Oliver, so says Confucius. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Oliver Super 55 vs. 550 vs. 55 #8  
My Oliver 550

Attachments

• 791783-MVC-069F 6x4.jpg
    791783-MVC-069F 6x4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 11,593